What's new
TurboTransAm.com

Register today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members.

Woodward 2016

kidsixpack

Silver Member
Woodward date is August 20, 2016 I'll be out all week. I haven't had my cars out at all this year. Looking forward to some seat time.
KID
 
I hope (but don't know for sure) that the Turbobuick guys will be meeting across from the Moose Preserve on Wednesday late afternoon or early evening during Dream Cruise week. I'll be driving over there to check - without my TTA. Roads were in such bad shape in Michigan last year that I swore off driving any of my "special" cars there until further notice. But I saw dramatic improvement this year - so now it's a "maybe" for next year.
 
That's good. Not entirely surprising ever since sanity was returned to the governors office after voters ousted the previous "global climate change" Canadian previously held the job.

But to get in and around the Detroit area you have to use other roads that aren't so great. Lots of construction detours, delays and closed roads this year. I'm still a little bit on the fence about next year, but optimistic.
 
I'll be out starting this Saturday. Takes a little more than an hour from the house. Hopefully it's worth it and not just a traffic jam.
KID
 
Good luck to 'ya. I swore off the Woodward Dream Cruise back in the 1990s because of the huge crowds even though it was just 5 miles away from my house. Then I moved out of state. Now when I vacation in Michigan in August, I instead go to Back to the Bricks in Flint. It's a "static" cruise-in with 5000 cars parked in the closed downtown streets from about 9 AM to 4 PM. It's not "rolling" so you can walk right up to cars, study engine compartments and talk to owners to get their story. I much prefer B2B over choking on race gas running through badly mis-tuned cars idling in stop and go traffic on Woodward.
 
I don't go on Dream Cruise day anymore, or even a few days before. The closest I get to it on the calendar is the Wednesday before, and you will still be running into traffic delays around the old Northwood shopping center, and up by Hunter House.

FYI...Cruise is Saturday the 20th, so THIS Saturday is still a week before. I think you'll be happy with the amount of cars out this Friday/Saturday.
 
There are also "warmup" rolling cruises going on this week prior to the Back to the Bricks in Flint on August 20th. The "warmup" in Davison, MI that takes place this Friday (August 12th) is the one that I want to see. It's supposed to be big, but not a monstrous traffic jam like I've experienced at Woodward.
 
Yes. Looks pretty bad tomorrow. Try checking out the Moose Preserve restaurant parking lot in Bloomfield Hills on Wednesday of next week. Should be a bunch of GNs there I think. Last year there was a wedding at MP, so the GNs went to a parking lot on the other side of Woodward. But still, about 30 GNs showed up.Woodward 8-12-15.jpg
 
Please post some pix.
Hope you enjoy the "seat time" and the sights/sounds/smells :cool:
From Cruis' News Magazine, August, 2016 - Cruisin Rules for the 2016 Woodward Dream Cruise:
"Spinning of tires, demonstrations of speed such as drag racing, etc., or placing liquids on the roadway is prohibited. Officers have been instructed to issue violations in these cases. Disorderly acts are prohibited and will result in violation. The fine for urinating in public is typically $200".
Well, that's a real downer... one of the usual smells is prohibited.
 
^^^ Yuck. I was thinking more of the odors of burning rubber (surely there will at least some :eek:) & high-octane fuel? :rolleyes:
 
Last edited:
Right DynoDave. Doesn't count. You could do that on January 1st every year too. That wasn't part of the Woodward Dream Cruise on the 20th - which is really not much more these days except a big, idling traffic jam and merchandising scheme.
 
Traffic has become almost intolerable, but when it comes down to it, it's worth the headache to see thousands of special interest cars at one time.
With so many people around we really shouldn't need to be reminded of how to drive responsibily.
It always amuses me when the dumbass with no car sits on the side of the road yelling at people to do a burn out. Along with thousands of people all around and a car three feet in front of you.
KID
 
As a former long time resident of southeast Michigan, I had my fill of the official Dream Cruise (Saturday) date 20 years ago due to bumper to bumper over-crowding and a high concentration of poisonous fumes ingested over several hours. The fumes are far and away worse than anything you've experienced at a drag strip. If you don't get a headache in 2 hours from that, God Bless you. I'm surprised that the EPA doesn't shut it down. But when it comes to the government, if it weren't for double standards, they wouldn't have any.
 
It's nice to have choices. Note that in a single day, you can't physically see all 50,000 (or whatever the real number is) cars at the Detroit Dream Cruise. My preference is to drive 50 miles north to Flint to the "Back to the Bricks" event that takes place on the same day where you can take your time to closely examine something like 5,000 to 10,000 cars (parked and engine off for 6 hours) that are every bit as good. If you stick around to the end of it, you'll experience engine noises and occasional burnouts when the cars leave the area.
 
..heck.. I envy you guys.. its two years since I was there.. and time was so tight it was 16 hrs only.. arrived just after midnight at DTW and out again at 6pm to get onto LAX by 11pm.. back at work 3 hrs after that 14 hrs flight.... .. loved it and hated my life for having no time.. SO ENJOY it while you can.. ..your a long time dead... Maybe get there next year I hope like hell.
 
B2B wide2.jpg Yeah, Back to the Bricks in Flint was really great today. In this picture you can see that brick paved Saginaw street was pleasantly full of cars and people - but not to the point where you can't easily walk around like at the Woodward Dream Cruise. Where Saginaw street seems to disappear in the distance, it actually "Y's" where about 500 Corvettes are on display. You could get right up close to really spend time to examine the craftsmanship, creativity and ingenuity of all the machines. Weather was good! Tall buildings provided nice shade in many areas.
 
Woodward was fun but it has become too much of a spectator sport. More daily drivers that I care to admit. I would say that the ratio was 25 to 1 on the street. And a ton of daily driver were parked in parking lots a long Woodward. I had a blast going out to Woodward during the week but I'm starting to agree with a lot of people about whether or not it's worth it to go on Saturday. Next year I may try back to the bricks.
KID
 
Probably the hot setup is to go to Bricks in the morning, then bug out a little early at about 1 PM or 2 PM to do a lap or two on Woodward. Then call it a day.
 
Back
Top