What's new
TurboTransAm.com

Register today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members.

Who still has their original spoiler on the car in perfect condition?

PhillyTurboSix

Administrator
Staff member
So I'm just curious, who still has their original spoiler and it's in perfect condition?

Miles on your car: 32,000
Reason why you think it's perfect:

I look at these low mile cars on eBay for sale and the spoilers are all cracked. Some bad, some not so bad, some really bad. My TTA still has the original spoiler on it and it's perfect. I talked to all the previous owners and none said they ever changed the spoiler. The only thing I can think of, all the previous owners told me was the car was, the car was never in the rain, it was always climate controlled storage, and hardly ever washed with water. Garage kept and detail spray all it's life.

4476275840_e36c845a65_o.jpg
 
Last edited:
Original Here, but how much longer it will last I don't know. Yes it is kept inside, but when you drive it in the summer, the sun is brutal down here.:yes:

Also my wheels are original and have never been refurbed or replaced,they are in decent shape also.
 
Last edited:
Mine has been replaced along with a repaint, new emblems, seals, etc. But I think you are on to something about the non washing of the car. I think they are preserved more without frequent washings. I've only washed mine once since ownership (Aug 2010) and it was after returning from the TTA reunion. That was also the only time it got rained on.:drop:

My car has 52k.
 
Jim, my TTA is one of the ones that someone got and put most of the miles on it within the first 4 or 5 years. HWY miles at first and then driven very little. Never raced and has been my girlfriends dad's TTA since about 1993. I got it in 2010.

Jim, it was originally sold new close to you in Trenton N.J. Since it has the hwy miles it has over 100k. The engine has been gone thru and has around 15k miles on the engine.
 
I also noticed there is a pretty big gap between the spoiler and the deck lid. I think what happens from being outside or wet and or washed often, the water gets in-between the deck lid and spoiler and starts to rust the mounting hardware inside the spoiler then cracking it apart over time.
 
Oh yes, I hardly ever wash my TTA. It is maintained by other products. As a matter of fact I detailed it today and used a clay bar and jax wax.
 
Jim, my TTA is one of the ones that someone got and put most of the miles on it within the first 4 or 5 years. HWY miles at first and then driven very little. Never raced and has been my girlfriends dad's TTA since about 1993. I got it in 2010.

Jim, it was originally sold new close to you in Trenton N.J. Since it has the hwy miles it has over 100k. The engine has been gone thru and has around 15k miles on the engine.

Damn 100K and original? How in the world are these low mile ones cracking then? You just messed up my theory! lol
 
Yes, the strange thing about this TTA is it drives like a 10k or low mile car. It is tight with no rattles, it really drives good. I might get a low mile car also, if I can find one as good as this high mile one.
 
Wow Mike, i never knew your car had 100k. You would never know it from the pictures. It looks great!!
 
My low mile cars have original spoilers with out any cracks. Climate controlled storage and hardly any driving in the past 25 years and washed once each.
 
Wow Mike, i never knew your car had 100k. You would never know it from the pictures. It looks great!!

Thanks Kymmee, it is a true survivor. When I got it in Tn, I had the choice of a nice GN or a Typhoon but I decided on the TTA. Heck I did not even know what a TTA was at the time! I am glad I made a good choice.:beach:
 
Trapped moisture is the culprit in this case and could have to do with variations in the manufacturing process and variations in material ... it's a metal bracket (coated or not I dont know but most likely uncoated) molded into the rubber (pourous) spoiler so at this point moisture could already been trapped in there and start eating away @ the metal inserts ...

So after that rain or no rain the process already started ... the storage conditions would speed up the process clearly.

So if they had different quality material in the metal brackets during manufacturing this might also be one reason some rust quicker than others ... if the metal brackets were coated / plated one way or another then they would last longer but not sure if they were or not.

If some of the TTAs were stored outside @ Van Nuys before being picked up then they would have seen rain at that point .. Van Nuys did not have any storage facilities indoors rather big parking lots where they cars sat for days / weeks ... ask George :-)
 
My 16k mile car that I recently sold had cracked. Got the car in 2001 with 5k miles on it, and it cracked in about 2008 or so. Was rarely ever washed because it was garaged with a cover on it most of the time. The culprit with mine was the Texas heat, garage was not climate controlled and it routinely gets to 105 degrees in the summers and then sometimes extreme cold in the teens...just so much expanding and contracting can happen before it cracks.

My 28k mile car has the original, but it was kept in a climate controlled garage up north and before that was in SC where there is not extreme temps one way or the other.
 
Last edited:
I'm putting my rear hatch back on the car...what a pain! Get the back aligned perfect, and the side gap is off...get the side gap right and the passenger side sticks out past the rear edge! I finally found comprimise, put the aftermarket spoiler back on and noticed that it has a 1/4" gap to the decklid...guess that's aftermarket for ya?!
 
The after market ones do need some to be put on by a good shop who knows how to work them and make them look right, that is for sure. It sounds like everyone that has put one on has had a different experience with them getting them to fit just right.

The nice thing about the fiberglass is that the paint looks fantastic, gives it a new look plus it is a 1/3 of the weight as the original so it takes the stress of the rear hatch motor and it goes up and down easy on the struts.

How can you tell the difference between and original and a fiberglass spoiler? I know I couldn't.
 
TTA 807 has a crack free original spoiler. car is in a heated garage and has less then 1500 mi. I only use detailer to clean it. but I do have a aftermarcket spoiler on hand.
 
My 83K car still has the original and it is crack free.
Kept in garage and also covered.
I would sell the spoiler but you will get the CAR with it.....lol
 
Hmmmm so it looks like excess water on the car and or extreme heat and cold does it. If you can avoid those 2 conditions your spoiler will last! Keep em coming!
 
Mine has 28k and is not cracked. I make sure to never slam the hatch. Many people let it slam and I think that has a lot to do with getting the cracks and also issues with the power down motor as well.
 
Mine has 28k and is not cracked. I make sure to never slam the hatch. Many people let it slam and I think that has a lot to do with getting the cracks and also issues with the power down motor as well.

This is good advice. When I bought my TTA, the PO told me not to slam the hatch, as he had just replaced the power down motor as well as the spoiler. Also a good idea not to slam your hood either.
 
Back
Top