What's new
TurboTransAm.com

Register today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members.

Stroker motor arrival :)

jarredsoon

Gold Member
photo1-1.jpg


photo1.jpg


photo2.jpg


photo2-1-1.jpg


This is how I am fixing my low oil pressure problem in TTA 365.

So far I have the old motor out and on a stand, I pulled the oil pan off thinking maybe the pick up went but it is still on and does not appear clogged. I am yet to check the oil pump. I am not sure what to look for.

The new motor is a weber stroker with billet roller cam 218/212, new front cover ported and new water pump, cam and crank sensor, adn rjc deep sump pan. RJC and weber both said it would fit.... I sure hope so. My favorite part is the roller rockers, they just look so cool. I have wanted some ever since I saw the pics of them on Jan Larsens car.

To go with the new motor I have new mounts, turbo, converter, injectors, chip alky pump, dual nozzles, alky guage, wideband O2, power logger, detent plate. I have been having trouble with my alky pump for a while now and figured I should just be safe and get a new one.

I have a 74 mm turbo and a 3500 stall, not exactly what Dusty recommends but I got such a great deal on them I snapped them up. If the combo sucks I am going to get a 67 and a dusty non lock up.
 
Wow, if that doesn't fix your oil pressure issues then I would have to go check the rear tires next. LOL That was a big ass box for such a little motor, send me the crate so I can use it for a garage in my back yard please since I don't have one yet. :) Have fun and the rockers are pretty kick ass looking.
 
That's some sexy contents of that crate! Brings a whole new meaning to a crate motor! :) Hopefully we can see this in Ohio this year! :) Keep posting up pics of your progress!
 
Best car porn I've seen all week! :clap:

Hmmm, looking at pic number 2 It appears Coors light was drink of choice while opening the crate. :yes:
 
Mike your tellin me that crate is big for one little motor. I showed up with my jeep and trailer to pick it up and it would not fit in the trailer.... just an inch too wide. So then I was gonna get a buddy with a big truck to drive it home for me but how would we get it out of the truck box?? I ended up getting a guy with a moving truck that had a lift gate and a palate jack to bring it home for me.
I ordered that in the middle of august, just got it now. It took along time as we had to wait for champion and there was a long wait for studs from arp. I dunno what I am gonna do with the box, unscrew it and then??? Would be good to have to ship another V6 motor but I hope I dont ever have to do that.

Here is a pic of the hole left in tta 365 and my old motor. The old converter is an edge racing converter, it worked well but only 2800 stall. I had never heard of them until I got the converter from extreme automatics. The headers look worse than they really are. You can see the Jim Dunn slic with the metal shroud in the background against the wall.

Ya the Coors was all I had, I prefer Budwieser but I think I am gettin fat in the spare tire region so.....

Also that red towel on the floor next to the motor stand is actually white. I was draining the trans fluid into a triangle catch bucket from canadian tire and my friend passed me a beer, next thing I know the trans fluid is overflowing the catch bucket. Darn deep pan,... I didn't want the oil goin down the drian so I grabbed first towel I saw, happened to be white.


photo1-3.jpg


photo1-2.jpg
 
Last edited:
Jarred,

You could prep the headers with Prepsol first, then go to Home Depot and buy Krylon Grill Paint in silver and paint the headers. It should last a while and it's cheap.

Joe
 
This is a weber racing built motor. I am gonna pull it out of the box on Sunday and stick in on a stand. I am buying some new parts from caspers, gbody, and TT. For now I'm gonna take my headers off the old motor and maybe paint them, just can't decide color. Silver or black?
 
Can't go wrong with a weber build! I would ceramic coat the headers. Will look good and last a long time! If your going to spray bomb them I hear Home Depot grill paint looks, works, and last a long time as well. You might as well replace everything and put all new back on it before it goes in. Now is the time! Keep the pics and updates coming! :)
 
If you want to have the headers ceramic coated and don't have anyone local I have a guy near me that does great work. Here is the last set I had done. Was $360 for the headers and cross over...

5283595512_7bacbaab1b_b.jpg
 
snowy day

OK so I got up this morning and there was so much snow!!! It has been snowing lots for the last three days, gives me reason to stay home and work on the project.
photo1-8.jpg

photo1-5.jpg

That is my gf out in the snow.
photo2-5.jpg



photo1-6.jpg


I got the motor onto the engine lift with difficulty. The motor was in the middle of one side of the palate, and the legs of the lift were so long I could not get the boom to reach my hook link on the intake. I ended up putting one leg of the lift on the palate and hooking the boom up to the motor, when lifting the motor up of course the whole thing tilted to one side. The side with the leg still on the floor. With the help of my gf we slowly got it off. I was scared to drop my new motor, should have thought of a better way but it all worked out.

photo3-3.jpg

photo1-3.jpg

photo4-1.jpg

Here is the old motor on the stand with the headers off. Sure is dirty, esp the heat shield for the starter.


photo2-4.jpg

Headers as they came off old motor
photo2-1-2.jpg

photo3.jpg

I could not find any prepsol so I got some mean green to clean up the headers, and some silver grill paint from rona
photo1-7.jpg

headers painted up on the wood from the crate the motor was shipped in.

photo3-1.jpg

temp sensors installed
photo5.jpg

knock sensor installed, my torque wrench barley went down to 14 ft/lbs for this thing.
photo1-4.jpg

new motor mounts installed, and note how clean that starter heat sheild is now:eeks:. I did not use any loctite on the mount bolts, should I?
photo2-2.jpg

photo3-2.jpg

I placed the headers on to just see what it looked like. I like that better than the plain old metal look. and the paint was 6 bucks.

I had problems with leaky valve covers before so I bought new valve cover nuts, washers and gromets. THen when I was torquing the covers down to 13ft/lbs I saw some oil on the edge of the cover. Weber had oil in the motor and turned the motor around and there was oil on the rockers and top of the heads. There also was oil on the gaskets as they are used. So I wiped away the oil and it just came back, so I wiped it away again and then I decided to take a pic. A little is still leaking out of a tiny crack. Is this crack going to leak all the time or just now as I was compressing the gasket as I was torquing down the valve covers???
photo4.jpg
 
Hey! Is that where my front license plate went? I see it hanging on the wall. lol Route 66 Illinois plate "TA 89". Don't go robbing any banks up there in Edmonton and blaming it on me. :)
 

Attachments

  • photo1-6.jpg
    photo1-6.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
OH NO
BUsted red handed..... hah ha
I could nto remember where that plate came from I bought two cars out of your state. Don't worry I used the AZ plate to rob the bank to pay for this crazy motor project. Your car was the get away car though lol.... ttarider
 
Looking good ... and like the space you have in your garage !

Looks like the sensor at the top of the intake is in the wrong place .. that looks like the temp sensor that should sit just left (seen from the front) of the water thermostat/housing

This photo of when I built mine shows all 3 sensors on there so you can compare ...
 

Attachments

  • PICT0047.jpg
    PICT0047.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Ahh ya good spottin Jan, I'll have to fix that. That is how I pulled them out of the old motor, how much does the swapped locations affect the sensors?? I had been running the old motor like that for three years??

Thanks buddy!!:yes:
 
Ahh ya good spottin Jan, I'll have to fix that. That is how I pulled them out of the old motor, how much does the swapped locations affect the sensors?? I had been running the old motor like that for three years??

Thanks buddy!!:yes:

Doubt it makes a difference; should be the same temperature on both. But not sure how well the wire-harness copes with it :confused:
 
Back
Top