What's new
TurboTransAm.com

Register today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members.

Places to visit in the Detroit area

Turbota6

Well-Known Member
Hey guys,

I'll have some free time on Sunday and I'm looking for some cool places to visit in the Motor City. Submit your ideas here. TIA :cheers:
 
went to dearborne to get TTA#299 guy was very wierd ... went to detroit got some breakfast 4 am walked in the door everyone looked at us like we were outlaws .... asked the waiter if their was a problem she said no. Seen the bigest for delarship in my life in detroit btw the guy i got the TTA from worked at the stamping plant for ford...... all the stores had bars an thick glass ... looked thuged out to me but i went at night .. straight there an back stoped for gas an to take a leak then back on the hwy abt 8-9 hrs from sc . Just dont exspect any southern hospitality or sweet tea and you will be fine ... if u have a pasport might as well go to canada its only like 5 miles
 
Last edited:
Whoa ... there's tons of awesome places to visit here in Detroit depending on what you want to do ... what you want to eat ... what you want to see. It may not be as cosmopolitan as South Carolina (ugh) but I'd be if you just drove all over the countryside of S.C. you'd find plenty of shacks and nasty areas too.

Turbota6 - Give me a call if you want some help ... cell 908-208-7778. I won't be available to talk to you on Sunday morning though ...
 
Yes Detroit, like many other large cities, has its good parts and its bad parts. I myself have experienced some of the bad and narrowly escaped getting T-boned at an intersection because the power was out. Actually, the power was out for all of the northeast and about half of Michigan...but that's another story.

I'm looking for some good car museums to visit on Sunday and good places to eat during the week.
 
I was in Detroit a couple months ago and stayed at the Greektown Casino. It was like any other big city-mix of locals, tourists, homeless, etc. Did not get hassled by anyone. For good places to eat, I always ask the locals. Did not haved time to go to any car museums, although I wanted too. Did go to a Tigers game and the stadium was nice! Had a great time at the game (open bar compliments of the business trip!)
 
For Sports fun ... Hockeytown

For the best Middle Eastern Food in the USA ... Dearborn ... try Al Amer (chicken, lamb, fish, humus, salad, etc etc.)

For Italian Food try Mario's in the Middle of Detroit. Haven't been there but I hear it's good (I'm a fuss pot about Italian Food being Italian.) Oh you can try Andiamos ... there's on in the center of downtown and one in Dearborn ... I've been there and it's awesome.

The hottest restaurant in Detroit is Slows BBQ ... but there's a wait but it's really good and like I said it's the hot place in Detroit right now.

For Brazillian Steak House (amazing with loads of meat so don't go if you're not hungry) try Texas De' Brazil ... owned by the brother of Fogo De Chow the best Brazillian Steakhouse in America. The Brazilian Steakhouses are all-you-can-eat and you pick out any and all the meat all night until you're done!

For Car Museum ... try the Ford Museum or the American Auto Museum's both in Dearborn ... not sure of hours of operation on Sundays etc.

BTW, Dearborn is only 15 minutes from downtown Detroit.

Without knowing what town you're going to be in, your tastes in food, and your budget I think that's a pretty good list.

Hope that helps ...
 
Jarred,

Anyone who thinks I'm "lucky" for getting to go to Detroit must not be from this country! :WOOT::rofl:Sorry, I couldn't resist. Maybe I'll take Jan's advice and go over the border for some Tim Horton's!

One of my favorite scenes from the movie "Kentucky Fried Movie" about Detroit.
http://youtu.be/g09GtnWdBjc

PhillyD,

Thanks for the info. I'm staying up in Roseville and working only a few miles away.

ahhh Ron. you lucky! I wanted to visit detroit too!!! after the reunion, just didn't get there.....
 
Then check out the places I told you about ... real close. Everything in metro Detroit is close and easy to get to and fro. Not much of a traffic issue either.

I'm from NYC (Brooklyn) originally and of course Detroit is no NY but I love cities in general so Detroit is no exception.
 
Whoa ... there's tons of awesome places to visit here in Detroit depending on what you want to do ... what you want to eat ... what you want to see. It may not be as cosmopolitan as South Carolina (ugh) but I'd be if you just drove all over the countryside of S.C. you'd find plenty of shacks and nasty areas too.

Turbota6 - Give me a call if you want some help ... cell 908-208-7778. I won't be available to talk to you on Sunday morning though ...

no places in sc have bullet proof windows to get gas lol ... and sorry ass concret roads bumpy as hell to blow tires on trailers ... indians everywgere ... just not my cup of tea. And zero southern hospotality = why i carried a gun because i had 17k certified check ... no sweet tea an everyone was rude = why i got the car an carried my happy ass back to sc. guy i bought my car from lived in the ford housing development looked like the slums... said he was going to use the money to open a subway ... was just enough room to drive a car through from house to house .... guy drove the tta around the block asked me what i thought ? I said i dont know i havent driven the car yet ! So i drove the car around the block it seemed fine . then he told me i could take the car an i would get the title after the check cleared. I told him it was a certified check an i wasnt taking the car with out the title ... i would carry my ass back to sc without the car then he said ok an signed the title over = weird people
?
 
Last edited:
Hmmm ... everyone's been friendly to me here ... hate to tell you this but as far as southern hospitality is concerned ... 1/2 of Detroit moved up from here from the south soooooo ....
 
Jan
The GM stuff is invite only not public.
I like th Henry Ford Musium and Villiage, especially the transportation section and the old tool room with working tools driven by an overhead line shaft.

Like Pilly said, What you looking for?

Glenn
 
Alot of my family worked for GM in Detroit at one time. Southern people going up north to make more money.

I have always perfered the un-sweet over the sweet, must have a little northern in me.

Enjoy your trip Ron, I'm sure you will find enough to do!!!
 
How about the GM stash of cars "hidden tresures"? ... not sure if they let people in on a Sunday?

I was just going to drop Jan's name at GM and I'm sure they'd let me check out their secret stash! :cheers:

Looks like I'm going to hit the Ford Museum on Sunday. As for the rest of the week that's up in the air right now.

Would love to check out the Lingenfelter collection but that's only open to the public a couple times a year and they don't have anything scheduled for this weekend. :disgust:
 
The Ford Museum was cool on Sunday...except for the fact that 95% of the automotive display was closed for renovation. :wall:

But I did enjoy the Made in America, Fully Furnished, & Heroes of the Sky displays. And who doesn't like the Wienermobile?!?!
View attachment 3512

Also, near the railroad display they had a huge Lego display with the largest building being about 10 feet tall. I had Lego envy...my largest kit right now only stands 3 1/2 feet tall.
View attachment 3513View attachment 3514

And despite what others have said, I not only found one place in Detroit with sweet tea I found two! Texas Roadhouse & Culver's! :yes:
 
Hey Turbo.. I know I've entered this a bit late.. but there is SO much to see and do around Michigan.. SO much history.. real automotive history is just everywhere.. not the Daytona promotion stuff.. but real.
Maybe leave your good TTA at home ..
Hotels or a recommended location base for a car guy..... try the Auburn Hills Fairfield Inn.. right on the cross hairs of Pontiac, Chrysler, Woodward.. Pretty much on the x of I75 & 59.. Safe, friendly and convenient.
* The Walter P. Chrysler Museum 5 minutes away.. and work a look..
Walter P. Chrysler Museum
* Heading NORTH.. to Flint.. the Buick World HQ as there.. some of the Oldest buildings opened back in 1904.. and still standing... Google Buick Flint and you'll find heaps to do..!

* Cruise down to "Pontiac".. an area trying to come back after being kicked in the gut too much over the last decade.. .. Neat eateries.. and more then a few good shops. Do the Woodward Loop.. .. and head all the way back to Detroit metro.. .. as you go.. Keep your eyes out for the Model T factory on the left.. its still there.. .. get off the road and drive around the back.. .. sad to see but its history .
There's a few good pictures around of it in 1932 at a change of shift 4pm.. trams, cars, hundreds of workers.. Your standing in history.. real stuff.. not pretend..
Keep going down to Detroit.. stick to daytime.. The GM HQ has an interesting free display on the lower level.. .have a feed.. go out the back.. tank take in Canada.. plenty of good food places there.. Just a nice place..
Back in the car.. stay in town & go to the MOTOWN MUSEUM - 2648 W. Grand Blvd. Detroit, - there is a good African - American Museum there too..

Henry Ford Museum has been mentioned..& you it it when much was closed for the winter.... but also on the same grounds is The Automotive Hall of Fame & the GreenField Village..
I first saw both these in 1977 when visiting Detroit as part of the Ford Motor Companies Australian Public Affairs team.. .. I've been back maybe 6 times since and always something new and stimulating.
You can also take the Rouge River plant tour from there.. takes around 2.5 hrs and worth going on..

The entire Detroit area is downsizing.. but in all my travels.. NEVER have I had any bad experiences .. Its not Orlando.. not probably for the kids etc.. but I travel alone.. got a strange accent.. and getting a bit grey.. but a better host city as an aware traveler with much to do... I 100% recommend it.

Dave Clee
 
Last edited:
Oz,

Yes, a bit late on the post but appreciated nonetheless. Maybe next time I'm up that way I'll look into some of these other places. Typically, I don't get a lot of extra free time when I'm working. And most of these places are not open at night...which I usually spending working from my hotel room with an occasional break for dinner.

And I don't have to worry about bringing my TTA there since I sold it almost 6 years ago now. I might, however, bring my G8 GXP there for the Woodward Dream Cruise at some point.

And I might be sending you some messages with Holden questions in the future, if that's OK.
 
Ron
.. See you maybe at Woodward 2012.. I've a few things to tick off the bucket list starting around the 2012 IL POCI Convention, then Woodward.. then Niagra Falls, NYC and then slowly back across to Santa Monica via Route 66.. a working holiday involving bringing my RH drive G8 Ute over - pictured here with Jim Wangers in 2010.
 
Last edited:
Dave - you are not missing anything in NYC. I live here and I can't wait to leave when I retire.
 
Back
Top