What's new
TurboTransAm.com

Register today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members.

I love 25 year old rear ends!!!!

Coltsfan1

Well-Known Member
Well finally got all the parts powder coated and put back togeather. With the exception of the drive shaft upgrade all went well and in my opinion looks sweet. The Bilstein shocks are still tight so they stayed. New bushings, and brake lines.........starting the engine pull as we speak.
 
Stock rear axle? I wanted to do this from day one (poweder coat it that is) ... how much did you dismantle it and cover up to be able to get it powder coated?

I've done all my suspension etc. but opted to just clean up (wire wheel) and paint the axle just because I was not sure how much I would have to remove from the axle or if stuff would get damaged or not.

Any advice and pointers very much welcome; and yours looks brilliant .. makes such a difference.
 
Damn Jan you busted me out........I too was not interested in a total dismantle of the rear end so once removed I cleaned, wheeled and painted it. Everything else is powered. Thanks for the compliment. I'm pulling the motor for some fresh up, timing cover and gears and when doing this all the front suspension will be powdered. Here's what it looked like prior......
 
Damn Jan you busted me out........I too was not interested in a total dismantle of the rear end so once removed I cleaned, wheeled and painted it. Everything else is powered. Thanks for the compliment. I'm pulling the motor for some fresh up, timing cover and gears and when doing this all the front suspension will be powdered. Here's what it looked like prior......

Good thing, i have seen many master mech. scratch their heads on rear-end rebuilds... no problems and never been apart ? keep it that way.
 
Looks good!
I have done several of these and I take mine down to the bare housing to inspect the guts while i'm in there..
Will be doing this to my 89 formula 350 ASC vert soon.
 
Damn Jan you busted me out........I too was not interested in a total dismantle of the rear end so once removed I cleaned, wheeled and painted it. Everything else is powered. Thanks for the compliment. I'm pulling the motor for some fresh up, timing cover and gears and when doing this all the front suspension will be powdered. Here's what it looked like prior......

Lol yep I were looking on-line on all the powder coated rears and how they done them but stripping it all out and then getting it all back together again (still working) put me off I have to say .... not easy to find a new rear on this side of the pond and mine still works just fine.

Yours turned out great, makes such a difference that's for sure.

I did my front suspension as well including the engine cross member; had it all out when I did my engine bay so powder coated the lot before putting it all back in there; you wont be dissapointed even if it's a lot of work.
 
I too was not interested in a total dismantle of the rear end so once removed I cleaned, wheeled and painted it.

Really. That's looks awesome! :thumbup:

How clean was it before you took the wheel to it? My T/A has lead a sheltered life (literally), and is very rust free. But that darned axle is very rusty. No heavy scale, I don't believe, but tons of orange surface rust. As clean as the rest of the underside is, it really sticks out...in a bad way.
 
Back
Top