What's new
TurboTransAm.com

Register today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members.

HeadLights

TTAGUY

Well-Known Member
I know this has been asked a million times, but I'm not sure which kit, or items I would need? Before I put the headlights back on the car, I need to make them work. Their sticking and i had to help them, by hand to go up.

I looked at topdownsolutions, but want to get it right. Which kit or parts do I need?
 
You need the deluxe headlight repair kit. Everything you need to do both headlights.

209280 Deluxe Headlight Repair Kit.


Mostly likely the 3 pellets are worn out, causing it to not work properly!
 
I can vouch for the fact that it's probably just the three pellets that are nothing more than a pile of sand , once I took took the motors apart and replaced the pellets The lights worked like new! Don't get new gears , unless you have observed them being bad ,which is unlikely! Good luck!
 
I can vouch for the fact that it's probably just the three pellets that are nothing more than a pile of sand , once I took took the motors apart and replaced the pellets The lights worked like new! Don't get new gears , unless you have observed them being bad ,which is unlikely! Good luck!

Thanks Ryan, before I took the TTA apart they were needing help to go up and down, so while I got them out still I might as well replace the parts. I dont think its the gears either, the motors were spinning great. The kit should be easy to fix for $23, never did it before, but should be easy.
 
Its a little bit of a pain getting the motors out but once out carefully open the case and u will c what u gotta dO!
Any problems give me a buzz
631-960-2005
 
I did mine this spring, got a deal on a complete kit from a Corvette Parts dealer. My gears were fine, just the pellets were "dust". My only advice is to start with the passenger motor first to see how they come apart. The driver's side is the mirror of the passenger, but the ridge/ring of the gear makes it a little tough to get the case apart. The passenger motor gear ridge is on the other side of the worm gear, so the whole thing comes apart very easily. It took less than a few hours to complete both sides, easy job. When moving the light buckets, use towels/rags to protect your rad support area, the bracket edges are sharp.
 
I did mine this spring, got a deal on a complete kit from a Corvette Parts dealer. My gears were fine, just the pellets were "dust". My only advice is to start with the passenger motor first to see how they come apart. The driver's side is the mirror of the passenger, but the ridge/ring of the gear makes it a little tough to get the case apart. The passenger motor gear ridge is on the other side of the worm gear, so the whole thing comes apart very easily. It took less than a few hours to complete both sides, easy job. When moving the light buckets, use towels/rags to protect your rad support area, the bracket edges are sharp.

Thanks Snowman, for the info
 
Be careful taking the screws that hold the casing top and bottom together. The heads snap off very easy so use a lot of wd40 and finesse.
 
If the motors are the same as the Sunbird inside, and I believe they are, I went to my local hardware store and found some nylon bushings that fit in the holes. Worked great and they were working when I sold the car.
 
I bought my parts from C3JR Corvette, his business is on e-bay. It's always a challenge to find a vendor who will ship part to Canada by post instead of the UPS bandits. The kit was $33.95 US, gear & pellets, showed up & worked as advertised. You never know if the gears are going to be okay or not, so I ordered the entire kit. When breaking free stuck screwsébolts, a lot of times it`s easier to slightly turn them in to break them free, rather than just start twisting them out. Then, once free, turn them back clockwise a few times while taking them out while giving them another shot of Rid Rust or Liquid Wrench. WD40 is really only good for very light corrosion & stuck bolts.
 
Want to say thanks to Lon, at TDS, what a great kit all the parts needed and extra srcews if you break a bolt or two, on the driver side, which I broke one, and super fast shipping, even on the slowest USPS. For 23 bucks and some change, its a deal!

Look at my old bushing they look like dried up mashed potatoes. Now comes the PITA part aligning the hood, fenders, and lights.

Thanks again, Lon @ TDS!

View attachment 4539

View attachment 4540

View attachment 4541
 
Yes, Lon's products and service are great. I did mine about 2 yrs. ago and they are doing great!:yes:
 
If in a bind, you can fix them with nothing more than a 1/2" long piece of heater hose. Take motor apart as shown in pics, and slide the piece of heater hose over the center shaft section inside that triangle shaped piece, makes it where the outside gear can't slip which is what the pellets/dust did. Worked like a champ. Luckily these motors can be taken apart easily, the later ones cannot be without breaking a seal and then epoxying the cover back on like on my '95.
Just spent $150 for a motor on it with a lifetime warranty from AZ, at least I'll never buy another one now for it.
 
You could also use a hot glue stick. Cut 3 small pieces and replace the old pellets with the glue stick pieces.
 
Back
Top