What's new
TurboTransAm.com

Register today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members.

Guy in for sale section having trouble getting $9k for a 40k mile car

andre#4

Well-Known Member
There is a guy in the for sale section having trouble getting $9k for a 40k mile car

I guess values have reverted to 1995 levels. Did not think it was this bad. A hardtop can't bring in $18k either. I wonder what the new ones are bringing these days. I know dealers advertise for $30 to $60k for t-top cars, but what does anyone pay for them theses days?

I had to pay $16k for mine brand new in 1995, and I though that was a good deal. I figured today you could not do that anymore but maybe you can???

Anybody know of recent sales prices? Have any new ones sold in the last 2 years? Seems to me the same dealers always have these things for sale with their pie in sky prices, and I never see any privately owned ones or reasonable prices for the new ones. Now we see these used ones for peanuts and can't sell them at those prices.

Society is about done I figure.

Tens of thousands of these losers are happily lining up to pay $75,000.00 apiece for 9 mpg ESCALADES which are GM's rebadged ghetto versions of Chevy Suburbans, which themselves are rebadged pickup trucks with a roof and seats in the back. And these loser sheeple believe that they are sports cars because their television told them so. Those lumbering 7000 lb bricks can't break past a 106mph speed limiter for fear of tumbling down the street when the crackhead driver twitches his hand making the 24"-made-in-china wheels pitch the thing over. How big of a fake plastic cadillac emblem do you need anyway on these chevy trucks? 10" diameter? And the 4 foot high chrome plated plastic made in china grille? Even the intake manifold is plastic on these pieces of S***. To each idiot his own. Why don't they start making U.S. citizens in china too? that would save money wouldn't it? It's just a matter of time I guess.

You decide which is the sportscar...
My god, that's an ugly plastic piece of SH1T
 

Attachments

  • cadillac-escalade-platinum-black.jpg
    cadillac-escalade-platinum-black.jpg
    270.2 KB · Views: 7
  • busa 032.JPG
    busa 032.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 12
I've been watching the prices of TTA's over the years now and while they do fluctuate from time to time depending on the strength of the economy, over all they keep creeping up. You have to keep in mind these cars have not come into "their day" yet. Sometimes it takes many many years and then one day... just like when the GNX's went from a 20 to 30K car, to sell up to and over 100K! Now I'm sure the TTA's will never bring 100K or maybe they will someday who knows. But it's a waiting game and it all depends on what you own the car for. Value, Fun, collectible reason, and or investment. I know guys who have multi million dollar car collections and just buy them because a friend bought one. Or they saw it in a commercial somewhere. If you want to help the value of the TTA's go up. Make sure each and every owner who can make it attends the TTA reunion. Events like this are sometimes all it takes to put a car on the map. And get more people interested in them. The more eyes on a certain car the more the value goes up. It's the American way. Supply and demand! :) It's all about supporting the cars. Showing them. Getting them out there so people can enjoy them at local shows. I actually have had people at a car show come up to me and thank me for showing my TTA as they never see them! If it's not seen, then the value of them is not seen as well!
I own mine just because I think it's the most amazing car GM ever punched out in the late 80's when I was growing up. I walked up to a GNX in a showroom in 87 when I was 19 years old and the salesman told me to step away from the car that I couldn't afford it! Now the GNX walks on the coat tails of the Grand National. That is why the GNX prices went thru the roof. These car collectors that started getting into Grand Nationals just had to have the best one out there. Well the best Grand National out there is the GNX. So supply and demand and boom went the prices! The TTA really does not have a coat tail to ride. I mean a GTA with low miles can't bring any money at auction. So we have to be the coat tails and make them go! :)
 
didnt buy mine to resale but seems the price should go up if we can get on our feet agin.
 
It is a buyers market. I just bought my 3rd TTA #1040 for $4000, 56K, T-tops, cloth. It needs some work, but at that price, I just can't wait to get it back into top condition. This is my GNX TTA project. I hope to have it done by he re-union so both my wife and I each drive one there.
 
Its a buyers market right now im glad i scooped up mine for the price. Festival hardtop if i sell now ill lose but in the long run no way. The way I see it its all about exposure. GNXs went up because they were built on the reputation of the grand national which was the finest musclecar of its day.

Our cars are 80s firebirds not exactly the most collectable era. Every car show Ive been to i find myself explaining what a TTA is to people, even car guys. These may never reach anything high priced because nobody knows they even exist.

Ultimately its up to all of us that have one to bring it out to shows, cruises, tracks. Thats where reputations are made not hiding under plastic in a garage for 20 years hoping for a day that may never come.
 
Our cars are 80s firebirds not exactly the most collectable era. Every car show Ive been to i find myself explaining what a TTA is to people, even car guys. These may never reach anything high priced because nobody knows they even exist.

Ultimately its up to all of us that have one to bring it out to shows, cruises, tracks. Thats where reputations are made not hiding under plastic in a garage for 20 years hoping for a day that may never come.

I had an opportunity to chat with Jay Leno a few months ago. (awkward details here, and here). Yes, I mentioned the TTA.

One of his stories involved meeting a Buick guy, (old 50s Buicks, not GNs) and noting that he knew everything there was to know about those cars, but little about others, while Jay didn't know as much about the Buicks, he has many other interests. Jay went on to explain that automotive fanatics have generalists and specialists.

TTA owners will fall under the specialist category as will those people who DONT know about them. And then, most generalists who know something about cars from the 80's will know about the TTAs but not the gritty details.
 
Last edited:
Every car show Ive been to i find myself explaining what a TTA is to people, even car guys.

That is the beauty of it! Lots of cars shows I've attended, it is a given you will see LOTS of Chevelles, Novas, Mustangs, Camaro's (60's and 70's). Not too many Trans Am's. The crowd is drawn to the TTA. I cant tell you how many people have said to me "I've never seen a TTA before." Sometimes its good to have something not everyone else has, even if its not "valued" as so.
 
Even the intake manifold is plastic on these pieces of S***.

I love my plastic intakes :cool:

That said the current trend in TTA prices sucks but so does the value of alot of other things right now. I've purchased TTA's in 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, and 2007 and have seen the values rollercoaster through the years but purchased right you can still come out ahead or at least even. Of the four I've sold since 2008 I've made money on three and lost on one (which was my own fault for putting too much into it :mad: )

But the way I see it if you drive them as they were ment to be the joy of owning one is worth the price :)
 
They will get their time to shine.. Ya just have to wait.. "There is no wine before its time" was tat old tv commercial lol
 
Back
Top