What's new
TurboTransAm.com

Register today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members.

FYI: Dave Doern passed away last Sunday night

Mike Arrigo

Well-Known Member
Just letting people know that Dave Doern "aka: Mr. Pontiac" passed away last Sunday. No services have been set as of yet and I will post if I hear anything. Several people in this forum know of him, so I figured I would post something to let people know.

He was the person who set up the strobe lights for the original 3 TTA Indy Pace cars and many of the Winston Cup Pace Cars for GM. He had also made an extra TTA w/strobes for himself, which I now own. He was supposed to come over to my house and see the car again, he seemed very excited to see it. He was a great guy and a wealth of knowledge to the Pontiac group and he will be missed. RIP Dave
 
Wow, so Mr. Pontiac passed away the day before GM announced Pontiac would be a discontinued division. Sometimes it is amazing how that stuff happens. It is probably better he passed the day before instead of a day after - he would have been disappointed.
 
What a great guy. He will be missed. I met him back in 1986 at Elkart Lake for the SCCA June sprints as part of the Trans Am Teritory. He had this very nice 1985 T/A with SD-455 installed. What a great car. We had dinner that night and heard some great stories. I later caught up with him about 8 1/2 years ago when I bought my Festival Car. I was interested in his car outfitted with the strobes, but decided to buy #90 because of it's low miles.

RIP Dave!

- Dave
 
Mike. Can you tell me more details? Pontiac Enthusiast magazine wants me to write a memorium. Dave was an old friend. I first met him and Road America in the late 1980s. Last time I saw him was in St, Ignace when we had dinner with Linda Vaughn. John Gunnell [email protected]
 
Mike. Can you tell me more details? Pontiac Enthusiast magazine wants me to write a memorium. Dave was an old friend. I first met him and Road America in the late 1980s. Last time I saw him was in St, Ignace when we had dinner with Linda Vaughn. John Gunnell [email protected]

Mike / John, did the memorium appear in Pontiac Enthusiast, if so which issue so I can make sure I have a copy.
 
Unfortunately I never did get a chance to speak with John in regards to Dave, but I did recently see Linda Vaughn and we reminisced about Dave and also talked about the late Broadway Bob from Union Grove who passed away this year. Linda was friends with both of them and she was very sad during on conversation, but was happy with the memories. She is a super cool lady and can talk your ear off. lol
 
Back
Top