What's new
TurboTransAm.com

Register today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members.

Build from scratch need parts Pistons, CamShaft, Crankshaft

amitch

Well-Known Member
Guys Im doing a rebuild from scratch, I bought bare brand new heads ($135), and original virgin block which I probably over paid for ($475) but haven't been able to find any in my area until after i bought this one.

What I need is a everything else, lol. but to start of a crankshaft, pistons w/ rods, camshaft etc. LEt me know if anyone has any NOS parts available and/or recommendations for parts (with manufacture and part numbers). Thanks.
 
Do you plan a stock rebuild or a performance (so aftermarket) build?

Plan to spend lots of time finding some of the TTA specific items if this is going into a f-body 3rd gen of some sort and you want to stay factory stock ...
 
I plan on a stock rebuild mainly I don't plan on taking it to the track but a little extra HP would be nice. I don't even own a body yet. I just always loved the 89 TTA and since becoming unemployed I have nothing else to do besides job hunt and get a little deeper into my hobbies. So I am up for suggestions, but as stated I am NOT looking for a performance/track build
 
Are you asking me what are they worth to me or what? Im not 100% sure yet got my block at the machinist getting cleaned and magna fluxed.if we can just hone the block I may be interested. Otherwise will proabably go .030 over and order piston to try to keep the stock compression.

I saw another post somewhere on here with some who went .020 over and order custom ordered pistons from JE Pistons to keep the 8.0:1 compression. Is there not anywhere you can just order the pistons without it being a custom job?

Also where should I get my crank from? I not a big fan of Reman parts necessarily but should I go with a reman or please suggest a company.
 
it was prolly my post. I went .20 over with je pistons... I think I took a picture of all the specs needed . I got Dan Strezo to order mine.

Its going to be hard to find a factory tta nos crank its different than the GN's
 
Oh sorry, no disrespecting by not realizing it was your post. Dan Strezo, is that who you recommend for me to go through to order them. Im assuming I would have to contact hime to give him the info on what I want to do and go from there.

As far as the crankshaft goes, I understand the cranks is different because its cross-drilled. Is the any aftermarket cranks out there to go with or not.
 
As far as the crankshaft goes, I understand the cranks is different because its cross-drilled. Is the any aftermarket cranks out there to go with or not.

Only reason the TTA got the cross drilled crank was the lessons learnt from the grand national (and racing engines) giving them less warranty issues with a cross drilled crank (in fact warranty issues went down to pretty much zero when they did that along with the other stuff put onto the TTA engine compared to the GN one).

I used Ross pistons in mine along with Eagle h-beam con rods using floating pins.

Roller cam (and rockers etc) is a worthwhile consideration even if a bit pricey ...
 
I just sold a crank for $250
There was one on ebay for $275 just a month ago.
There out there.
I also have pistons and rods for sale $200
 
Last edited:
Are you asking me what are they worth to me or what? Im not 100% sure yet got my block at the machinist getting cleaned and magna fluxed.if we can just hone the block I may be interested. Otherwise will proabably go .030 over and order piston to try to keep the stock compression.

I saw another post somewhere on here with some who went .020 over and order custom ordered pistons from JE Pistons to keep the 8.0:1 compression. Is there not anywhere you can just order the pistons without it being a custom job?

Also where should I get my crank from? I not a big fan of Reman parts necessarily but should I go with a reman or please suggest a company.

I would go .20 over max where u will have more meat on the block if u hav to bore it agin!

if u do a search I took a pic of all the .20 over specs

burnt piston leaned out @ 140 mph ... bout had to change my pants sounded like a 12 ga with triple 000 buck shot





URL=http://s92.photobucket.com/user/tta299/media/Picture261.jpg.html]
Picture261.jpg
[/URL]

custom .20 over JE piston beside burnt stock piston ..... long block ended up costing me about 7k
 
Last edited:
I would go .20 over max where u will have more meat on the block if u hav to bore it agin!

if u do a search I took a pic of all the .20 over specs

Thats true. How much did the pistons cost since they were a custom order?
 
I have my one block at the machind shop since may, now that funds are getting freed up I need to make that phone call to get these guys working on it again. So far it has been magnafluxed, and cleaned.

Thinking about having it bored 3.825". That would make it .020 over right with .005' in clearance?Also would I have to have this plate honed and bored?

He also asked me about deck clearances. I dont know what that is necessarily, can somebody elaborate or give me a suggestion on what to do? Sorry for the numerous questions but I'm a novice.
 
I have two 109 blocks so I am still in need of 2 upper intake plenums, 1 lower intake manifold, Two 229 Crankshafts, Pistons, 2 sets of headers w crossover, etc.
 
If your machine does not have a torque plate specific to the 231 Buick
block you either need to pay for work up to now and take your block and find a shop that does or find a torque plate they can use.

The piston maker will have deck clearances needed and yes, you need it decked.

If I may make an assumption here, you have moderate working knowledge of what machine work needs done,correct? and your machine shop has limited Buick V6 experience,correct?

If that's the case then I recommend you ask for them to do the whole shebang and have them order the parts needed to get it a finished short block.
If they are asking for help, then fine but if not I would not offer up internet advice or bring them parts. You may pay 10% more for the parts but it will save you and your machinists relationship and puts the liability on the professional machine shop where it should be.
 
If your machine does not have a torque plate specific to the 231 Buick
block you either need to pay for work up to now and take your block and find a shop that does or find a torque plate they can use.

The piston maker will have deck clearances needed and yes, you need it decked.

If I may make an assumption here, you have moderate working knowledge of what machine work needs done,correct? and your machine shop has limited Buick V6 experience,correct?

If that's the case then I recommend you ask for them to do the whole shebang and have them order the parts needed to get it a finished short block.
If they are asking for help, then fine but if not I would not offer up internet advice or bring them parts. You may pay 10% more for the parts but it will save you and your machinists relationship and puts the liability on the professional machine shop where it should be.


Its going to be a slow build since funds are low. I not aware of any shops close by me in South/central jersey that know the buick v6 engine that well. Maybe somebody on here can recommend one.
 
Go on craigslist....Philadelphia....search on grand national....there's a guy in Norwood pa who has tons of GN parts.
 
Yeah I dealt with him in the past, he does have a lot of parts etc from GN, but i think he is overpriced for many of his parts and you kinda gotta be realy pick chosey with is stuff. Other than that hes the same guy that advertise on turbobuick, grandnationalspecialties etc
 
Have to ask.. why go 20 over on a nice block ???? So what else do ya need ??

One block I had magnafluxed and cleaned. The other is still assembled in my garage waiting to be dissambled. I believe the block that was just cleaned could be honed, but I have no pistons anyway. So I was thinking just to bore it out and go .020 over to at least make sure everything was good. However I didn't really like the machine shop I went to so I need to find somebody in my area that has knowledge of the buick v6 like other suggested.

As far as what else do I need. You name it. All I have now arethe blocks 2 sets of heads (not orginal), 1 lower intake maniold, and 1 set of headers that I just purchased off of TURBOGTA that should be on there way.
 
Back
Top