What's new
TurboTransAm.com

Register today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members.

New Member Hello

C66 Racing

Member
Hey All,
New member here. Was at the MAGNA Buick drag race and car show this past weekend showing my 2002 Corvette SCCA Touring 1 class racecar and participating as a show vendor for AMSOIL when I learned of this forum.

Took up racing my Corvette, which was my daily driver, as a hobby in 2003. Done something like 40+ races with the SCCA since then and still having a good time.

Don't have a TransAm but race many! And I've learned a few things about lubricants along the way. I'm here to help if anyone has questions.
:cheers:
 
Welcome to the forum Brad! Brad has some great prices on Amzoil products! I invited Brad up to the show I ran this past weekend in Cecil County MD. So I checked him out for you guys and gals! :)

Brad post up some information on that oil you were showing me that would work good in our flat tappet cam cars with all the ZDDP in it. Z-Rod I believe it was?

Also Brad sells Wix filters and those are about the best you can buy for our cars!

So if anyone is looking for Amsoil turbotransam.com has a Amsoil rep now! :clap:
 
Welcome, Brad.

Been buying Amsoil from Brad for years and he is a top notch guy and fellow gearhead.

And yes, Zrod is the oil for the our cars. It is what I run in the LS3 in the Camaro.
 
KID, Jim, Jason,
Thanks for the welcome!

Here the high ZDDP oil mentioned above:
AMSOIL Z-ROD 10w30 Synthetic Motor Oil (Product Code ZRTQT)
(zinc – 1440 ppm, phosphorus 1320 ppm)
AMSOIL Z-ROD 20w50 Synthetic Motor Oil (Product Code ZRFQT)
(zinc – 1440 ppm, phosphorus 1320 ppm)

This oil was designed for flat tappet cam engines in classic cars. It is very similar to the
AMSOIL Dominator Synthetic 10w30 Racing Motor Oil (Product Code RD30QT) (zinc – 1575 ppm, phosphorus 1474 ppm) that I use in my Vette at the track.

Unlike the Dominator Racing Oil, the Z-ROD contains enough detergents for 3-5k oil change intervals (or one year, whichever first). The racing oil gets changes about every 500 miles in my Vette. The Z-ROD also have the advantage of having corrosion inhibitors which is good for cars that are either stored or only driven infrequently.

More than happy to get AMSOIL products for forum members at dealer wholesale pricing, about 25% below retail, via the AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program. Drop me a PM if interested. :cheers:
 
KID, Jim, Jason,
If this turns into a dupe post, sorry. Tried replying and got a message saying a mod had to evaluate my post - not sure why. But, either way, thanks for the welcome!

Keeping this short if it is a dupe, here is the Z-ROD mentioned above:
AMSOIL Z-ROD 10w30 Synthetic Motor Oil (Product Code ZRTQT)
(zinc – 1440 ppm, phosphorus 1320 ppm)
AMSOIL Z-ROD 20w50 Synthetic Motor Oil (Product Code ZRFQT)
(zinc – 1440 ppm, phosphorus 1320 ppm)

More than happy to get AMSOIL products for forum members at dealer wholesale pricing, about 25% below retail, via the AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program. Drop me a PM if interested. :cheers:
 
All,
Apologize for the slow response. Haven't been ignoring the above, but the software has not let me post. Just a quicky here to see if I can yet.
:cheers:
 
I'll ask the obvious, so if you use Amsoil, do we still need to add zddp to it?

To make it simple, what is the best Amsoil product and Wix oil filter for the TTA?

Make it a sticky, I'm sure he will get many orders from us.

Welcome and thanks for the help.
 
Appears I can post now!

Here is AMSOIL's relatively new offering for classic cars:
AMSOIL Z-ROD 10w30 Synthetic Motor Oil (Product Code ZRTQT)
(zinc – 1440 ppm, phosphorus 1320 ppm)

The reason an oil like this is important to older cars is that the API has changed the oil specs over the years, and not necessarily in a good way.

Historically, engine oil had phosphorus on the order of 1200 ppm.

From 94-97, the API SH spec allowed up to 1200 ppm phosphorus for 5w30 and 10w30 and didn't address other 30 grade viscosity like 0w30. In 97, API SJ dropped the limit to 1000 ppm, but still did not address 0w30. In 01, API SL kept 1000 ppm phosphorus, but added 0w30 to the spec. In 04, API SM further dropped the limit to 800 ppm, but for the first time set a floor at 600 ppm and advertised that oil's were better. Essentially they were capping how much phosphorus the better oils could have and mandating the lowest amount the cheapest oils must have. The current API SN spec still has the band 600-800 ppm phosphorus.

Unfortunately, phosphorus, along with zinc, in a compound called ZDDP, or or zinc dialkyl dithio phosphate, forms an oil's primary anti-wear additive. The reason behind this is that phosphorus slowly poisons the cats and prevent the catalytic exchange that allows them to function properly. To ensure auto companies could meet the EPA's 100k+ emissions requirements, the API has slowly been dropping the limit on phosphorus.

So, any oil labeled to meet the current API SN spec will be limited to 800 ppm max phosphorus. This impacts how well it will be able to perform in anti-wear, such as might be seen in your bearings under heavy load.

Oil's like the Z-ROD bypass the current regulations and have lots of ZDDP. The Z-ROD is very similar to the racing oil I use:

AMSOIL Dominator Synthetic 10w30 Racing Motor Oil (Product Code RD30QT)
(zinc – 1575 ppm, phosphorus 1474 ppm)

The main difference is that the Z-ROD had enough detergents for 3-5k miles, or one years whichever first, oil change intervals, whereas the racing oil has no detergents and I change it at about every 500 miles of track use. The Z-ROD also has rust inhibitors which may provide benefit to cars that are stored for much of the year.

If anyone is interested in trying AMSOIL, more than happy to get AMSOIL products for forum members at dealer wholesale pricing, about 25% below retail, via the AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program. Drop me a PM if interested. :cheers:
 
Kman71,
I just tried posting again with a link and the forum software doesn't like that - kicks it to moderate review. Trying a shortened version.

The AMSOIL Z-ROD 10w30 is designed for classic cars and has 1440 ppm zinc, 1320 ppm phosphorus - no need for extra ZDDP.

The cross reference on commonly used filters:
PL24011 - Wix 51036
AC PF24 – Wix 51258
Cheers,
Brad
 
Kman71,
I just tried posting again with a link and the forum software doesn't like that - kicks it to moderate review. Trying a shortened version.

The AMSOIL Z-ROD 10w30 is designed for classic cars and has 1440 ppm zinc, 1320 ppm phosphorus - no need for extra ZDDP.

The cross reference on commonly used filters:
PL24011 - Wix 51036
AC PF24 – Wix 51258
Cheers,
Brad

Hi Brad,

What is the difference between the two wix filters besides about $1. I read both of the descriptions and they read exactly the same.

Thanks,
Kris
 
Hi Brad,

What is the difference between the two wix filters besides about $1. I read both of the descriptions and they read exactly the same.

Thanks,
Kris

Thanks to the mods for letting my original posts through (with links). :thumbup:

Traded PM/email with Kris this week while I was on travel, but sharing here for others to read.

The 51036 is about 0.5" taller than the 51248. I'm somewhat new to the Buick market but the PL24011 and the PF24 filters were recommended to me by Jim. The Wix equivalents are 51036 and 51248. Both have the same thread dia/pitch and seal diameter but the 51036 is the bigger filter (longer). I bought about six of each for the MAGNA Buick drag race and sold all the 51036s and none of the smaller 51248s. Clearly those in the know (Buick drag racing crowd) prefer the bigger filter.
:cheers:
 
Back
Top