What's new
TurboTransAm.com

Register today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members.

#3 of 7 kids graduating and off to college...

cammed06

Member
Realizing that I am getting older, not that old, but kids don't stop growing up, and just cost more and more and more. I am in much debate to sell my #751. I have gone round and round over this for over a year. With 3 in college, it's hard to justify a car that sits in the garage and look pretty. With my youngest being autistic and non-verbal, it's time to grow up a little myself and weed down my toy box. I can't believe I found this site while considering selling mine, because there is so much good info on here.

I always get to a decision, then I drive it and grin from ear to ear. I have built numerous lsx cars over the years, and even though they are faster, they're not near as fun. This tta is the longest I have ever owned a car. I plan to post it up soon. I'm gonna have to get one of the kids to show me how to post pics, and then it will start hitting the sites.

I plan on staying on the site, cause you all seem to have the same addiction as me. Plus, I can keep up with my car when it sells.
 
It all depends on your situation...if you must sell for finacial or space reasons, by all means, sell. But...if you don't have to sell for those reasons, keep the 'grin'! It's what keeps me feeling like I'm 25. :)
 
Tough one Pal... I hope I am not coming across as rude. I am married without any kids.

I don't think you will get what you want for your low mile TTA. $17,-$19,000 is not a lot of money now a days in my opinion. I'd blow through that in no time. :beach:

With that being said,

These cars are pretty much topped out in value for the most part right now. They are never going to be worth 50k-100k. So, if you do sell yours, you could find another TTA down the road that would satify you later in life.

Lastly, you should have atleast ONE toy. My questions is, what's cooler than a TTA? :cold:

Joe
 
I agree with Joe about the money - it's not a lot in the general scheme of things. But I have to disagree with him about the value of TTA's in the future. Second gen F bodys, especially Trans Ams have come into their own in the last few years, selling for big bucks. Performance wise - they are turds. But people want them. The thirdgens will get the recognition they deserve eventually, especially special edition examples like the TTA. So if you can hold onto it some more, it will be worth it. But if you have to sell it - it's just a car. Family is more important.
 
All good point's made by well informed (and knowledgable ) owners; the best one was by cammed06 "just sit's in the garage and looks pretty"' Imo if thats all it does let it ride, i'm sure it will be a car that the new owner will never forget! :drool: and as everyone knows they made more than one if you get the itch again :thumbup:
 
Dad had a very rare 60-something Mercury. He kept it perfect till the late 70's he thought he didn't need it anymore. He sold it. Many years later he wondered what happened to it on occasions an would tell about how he really loved that car. Happens that one day he gets a phone call, about 2 years ago.

The new owner bought the car off of Barret-Jackson I think. Inside the owners manual he saw dad's name. He found his number and called dad. Dad ended up somehow finding/watching the episode. The car was still as he remembered. Dad sold the car for $3,000. The car brought almost $100K at the auction.

I think he would actually rather have the car back and not the money. Just to go for a ride around the block and think back to when he was young.

He tells me, don't sell your TTA if you can help it... I hope I never have to.
 
I think you will regret it. Think of all the TTA owners that sold their cars over the last 15 years when their kids stop draining all their money, then they will be looking to buy another TTA and I do not think they will be as easy to find as people think. just my 2 cents. KEEP IT!
 
I bought #632 , told the wife its an investment for our newborn daughter. She just smiled knowing I was full of crap . Someday , maybe 20 years and 10000 miles from now, the car will be worth what they deserve to be and I can smile back. In the between times, I guess I'll just have to hold the right foot down to the floor and smile for the thrill of it.
 
I know I know.I appreciate all the advice. That is why it's taking sooo long to make a decision. Sometimes you narrow down priorities, sometimes those toys are the things to liquidate. I am possibly selling 3 of my babies...

But seriously, just in reading a lot of these threads, there are a bunch of good people on here and not really any of the thread crappers like other places.
 
Looking at the situation from a different perspective (not the financial part), the cars represent history from the late 80's. Anyone that attended the reunion and listened to Scott Kelly speak, realized how unique these cars were for their time. I gained much more respect for them after that event. You could sell and maybe buy a different one in the future. I have made my car what it is and have put a lot of time into getting it there. I dont know if I would want to start over again. If at all possible, try to keep it and its ok to have toys. Yes, family comes first, but maybe there is another way.
 
Back
Top