Winter Storage

kymmee

Silver Member
I had problems last winter with mice getting into my base FB interior and dont want to take any chances with the TTA. I bought a shipping container (20ft) and have been getting it ready. Painted the interior this past week. These things are water tight, they have 4 covered vents. Dont think mice can get into them. If you have zoning regulations you probably cant have one on your property. They make for nice storage and are considered portable so you dont have to pay addt'l property taxes as a building. I will be putting the TTA in there in about a month, so the paint will be nice and cured by then. Most places that market them get them when they are not considered "sea worthy" anymore, so you can get a deal. This one had some rust on the roof, but hubby patched and welded it, so its leak free. I think the car is gonna look good in there.

kymmee

Silver Member
I'll post up a picture when the car is in there. Yeah, it will be tight but one time in and one time out in the spring. After the weather breaks in the spring, I'll put the car back in the pole barn garage. The storage container wouldnt be good for summer, it gets hot in those things.

kymmee

Silver Member
Did a trial run today with the MSE. We are doing some work to the garage that car is in and needed a place to put it for a few days. The car takes up almost the whole box. There is about 2 foot in front to get under the hood and about a foot clearance at the back. Pulled it in staying tight to the right. The drivers door opens and you can squeeze out. Wouldnt want to be a big person-it would be real tight. Took the pictues with my cell phone and it was really cloudy and dark today, so you can't see in there real well.

You would have to e-mail or call the company I guess. I just bought a indoor unit from them, which is called the Veloce which is a easy drive in and out model so you can drive it whenever you want and still get the benefit of a sealed model which would be a lot more work than just a zipper to get it out and in. Has the filters to take out the bad fumes and moisture. My garage can get very damp at times. So it wouldn't be just for winter storage for me, year round. Expensive but for me Totally worth my investment in my opinion.
How is that going to hold up under snow load?

8289ta

Silver Member
Well - that's it for the TTA this year. I changed the oil, took her for one last spin, and topped off the gas tank. Then I washed and waxed her and put her under a cover on the lift. She's going to be there till next spring.:sleep:

kymmee

Silver Member
Put mine in the shipping container today. :down: Put Sta-bil in the gas tank and took a final short cruise-listened to the turbo spool up a few times.:thumbup: Hooked up the battery tender and covered her up. The car was already super clean so I didnt wash or wax it. I am going to change oil and put a few new parts on in spring.

8289ta

Silver Member
I changed the oil because I heard it is good to leave fresh oil in for storage. I don't know how true that is, I never did it with my other Trans Am. The oil that came out looked pretty clean. I also through Sta-bil in the tank, and have the battery tender hooked up.

kymmee

Silver Member
Now we have the long wait till that great day when it comes OUT of storage. In my case, I hope that winter goes by fast. I dont know about the oil change, I've heard both ways, I only put about 500 miles on the car and my weather window was running out, I really dont think it will hurt anything by waiting till spring.

michbc3

Used oil has combustion contaminants in it that can create corrosion on bearings and valve guides. However, today's synthetic oil that is changed within 5,000 or so miles is not going to be a problem.

Of more concern to me would be the initial startup in the spring when the oil has generally drained back into the pan. So it's good if you can disable the ignition temporarily and slow roll the engine to pump the oil back into the system to develop oil pressure first.

At a car show, a guy with a fuel injected car was SO proud of the fact that after long term winter storage, his car instantly fired right (!) up with no detectable cranking at all. That's exactly what you don't (!) want.

Top Bottom