Wheel lip

njtta150

What is everyone doing with flaking clear coat or whatever it is on lips of the wheels?
Remove it and polish the lip?
What are you using to remove the coating ?

I'm actually working on restoring mine now and aircraft paint stripper applied with a brush made pretty easy work of removing the clear. I'm in the process of sanding the lip now to get rid of the imperfections that were left behind and will polish them after

DynoDave

I'm actually working on restoring mine now and aircraft paint stripper applied with a brush made pretty easy work of removing the clear. I'm in the process of sanding the lip now to get rid of the imperfections that were left behind and will polish them after
Are you stripping the gold painted center, or just the clear coated portion.

I'm Just doing the lip on these wheels. I used a gel type aircraft paint stripper and applied it with a brush. I tried to be as careful as possible not to get paint stripper on the gold but did have a little contact in a couple sports and it didn't affect it on my wheels. I did a set of centers on GNX wheels years ago with paint stripper and it worked fine for that also

njtta150

I'm Just doing the lip on these wheels. I used a gel type aircraft paint stripper and applied it with a brush. I tried to be as careful as possible not to get paint stripper on the gold but did have a little contact in a couple sports and it didn't affect it on my wheels. I did a set of centers on GNX wheels years ago with paint stripper and it worked fine for that also

what brand stripper are you using and where did you get it?

I have tried a couple so far with no results.
1 from amazon another from HD, the 3rd from the street corner was good but didnt help the wheel issues ! lol

I used the Rustoleum paint stripper I believe I got from Walmart and the Blue Magic polish I got from Walmart also. Stripped the clear then wet sanded with 600 grit then 1000 grit and polished by hand with a rag. It takes a bit of time but turned out pretty good as you can see in the picture. With more time and finer sand paper you could easily get a mirror finish but I wanted something close to stock looking. I did end up spraying the gold sections with Duplicolor HWP111 gold wheel coating witch was a decent match and not expensive

Attachments

Top Bottom