Welcome to this forum!

mr.turbota

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi all!
Welcome to this forum here on TurboTransAm.com.
I will start off by saying that I own a 1981 Trans Am Special Edition Turbo. TASET for short. At least that's my nickname for her.
She is totally modified now, and no way even looks like a stock Turbo Trans Am.
I bought this car new, and I intend to keep her forever.
I use to own a 1980 Indy Turbo Trans Am, and a 1981 NASCAR Turbo Trans Am, as well as a regular 1981 Turbo Trans Am.
Sold them all, and miss them.
I know something about these cars, but not everything.
So, if you post with questions, you may not get an answer. Right away that is.
There have been and are, owners who still have them, that will be checking up here, so give it time.
Feel free to post away here.

George :cool:

PhillyTurboSix

Administrator
Staff member
Looks good George! I always wanted one of those cars. I ran into a guy at a show with a 81 turbo TA and when we were leaving we lined up at a light. I was in the TTA. I said wanna give it a run. He said please no! I don't want to be embarassed that bad! lol :D I love that body style. I was thinking it would be cool to have the pace car. I guess that would be the 10th anniv. Someday!

I think I have bought an 81 se turbo. I have always liked that style but have never owned one. I hope they are not as bad as I have heard(performance wise) Its about 900 miles away from me. I plan on flying in and driving home. So I should have lots of time to think about improvements. I will post some pics when I get it back home.

mr.turbota

Super Moderator
Staff member
Welcome!
Tell me more about the car!
Or post the ad, if you bought it from one.
Without the build sheet, or PHS documents, it can be alittle hard to verify.
Alot of people just chance a few parts, and say it is, to get more money.
When you get it, post some pictures! :)

:beach:

i GUESS BASED ON WHAT i HAVE READ ON THE WEB ITS NOT AN se BUT IT SURE IS CLEAN. I fly in to pick it up saturday. I have realy taken a lot of heat on buying a turbo turd as my brother has already named it, so I will probably seeking to improve my turbo turds already tarnished image! Man it sure is cool though.. You can check it out at http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...y.com:80/?from=R40&satitle=120173582987&fvi=1 . Any tec tips would be great...ahhh ecept for "dang Id put a three fif ta in err" hehe....T

81DaytonaPaceCar

hansrober said:
i GUESS BASED ON WHAT i HAVE READ ON THE WEB ITS NOT AN se BUT IT SURE IS CLEAN. I fly in to pick it up saturday. I have realy taken a lot of heat on buying a turbo turd as my brother has already named it, so I will probably seeking to improve my turbo turds already tarnished image! Man it sure is cool though.. You can check it out at http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...y.com:80/?from=R40&satitle=120173582987&fvi=1 . Any tec tips would be great...ahhh ecept for "dang Id put a three fif ta in err" hehe....T
Yeah, it doesn't appear to be an SE...still a very cool car nonetheless.

And, this is just me, but keep it stock...it definately looks clean and well kept...too many of them have been sacrificed to make it "fast". It will turn with most 3rd gens, but from a straight line perspective, you'll be left lacking.

But I'd say don't change a thing...it will be worth it in the long run...:cool1:

Yes I am hoping that is how it appears but you know that goes. I have never driven a turbo ta before so I dont know quite what to expect. They couldnt be that bad. I am not looking to drag anyone but I am not this guy ----------->:wheelchair: either. I am sure when my brother(chip) and I pick it up he will say:WOOT: this is:cool1: cool man. If not he can just:kissass: . If you :idea5: get my drift. Wow that was fun. I need to get out more

mr.turbota said:
Hi all!
Welcome to this forum here on TurboTransAm.com.
I will start off by saying that I own a 1981 Trans Am Special Edition Turbo. TASET for short. At least that's my nickname for her.
She is totally modified now, and no way even looks like a stock Turbo Trans Am.

George :cool:
Do you have any pics of the motor? What all did you do to it? What's it run in the Quarter MIle?

P.S.
Oh yeah, I saw a show on Big Daddy Roth on the Sundance channel. It was pretty cool. Made me high just watching it.:drag:

mr.turbota

Super Moderator
Staff member
Besides replacing the turbo a couple of times (car has over 80,000 miles on it), the only thing I have done, is add NOS.
To date, I haven't run the car in the quater.
All the mods are body and interior.
I always wanted to drop a 455 into the car.

mr.turbota said:
Besides replacing the turbo a couple of times (car has over 80,000 miles on it), the only thing I have done, is add NOS.
To date, I haven't run the car in the quater.
All the mods are body and interior.
I always wanted to drop a 455 into the car.

Only drop a 455 in it if there are twin intercooled turbos attached. :burnrubber:

Top Bottom