Tta Proposed Tweaks.

Greetings - I just bought a TTA with 11,000 miles and would like to get it into the mid 12s without much fuss. I thought this might get me there.
3:73 gear
Drag radials
Chip
Scanmaster
K&N / cold air induction
Professional dyno tune
I’d like some suggestions and comments before beginning. Am I going in the right direction to make mods that the next owner can easily bring back to original? What am I forgetting? Should I use a speed shop and if so, are there are any good 3.8 turbo tuners in Houston? Thanks!

I think you should do
drag radials
scan master
turbo tweak chip
alky control methanol injection kit
increase boost to 18/19.
That should be pretty good to go fast. I think best bang for the buck on going fast is the alky kit.
you will notice the difference for sure.

TexasT

Did you ever wonder?
I'd start off with an upgrade to the fuel pump and a "hot Wire" kit to power it. With out fuel, more boost is a slippery slope on the way to a head gasket replacement. A turbo Tweak chip, scanmaster and some sticky tires would be next on the list as noted above. With some practice and decent track prep mid 12s should be no problem if you have a decent running engine and trans that isn't slipping. Also might consider over filling the trans by a quart to prevent it from "sucking air" on a hard launch and uncovering the pick up.

Since the drive-train is the same a read through this article will help you get the "cobwebs" cleared out of your vehicle.
The Grand National / T-Type / Turbo Regal Buick Spring Cleaning Guide

Add valve springs to the list and NGK plugs, if you really want to fine tune get a Powerlogger as well.. you didn't mention what turbo you have but a TE44bb is a fun turbo with stock TC until you get into the trans.. which won't take long.

stock TC until you get into the trans.. which won't take long.
+1, the stock trans was never meant to handle the torque these motors can make with a few tweaks, but if you goose it less times than I did maybe it will last longer.
• Get the exhaust out. If that's simply putting a test pipe in place of the cat with a cutout at minimum, that's awesome but then a 3" downpipe is the best.
Good luck with it. Post some time slips when your done.
• Turbo Tweak Chip
• Adjustable fuel regulator
• 100+ octane unleaded never hurt anything:D

The HP rating had nothing to do with the corvette, it was about the trans warranty... at least that is what Scott Kelly told me at the reunion, in other words it was barely adequate bone stock.

Thanks to everybody for your suggestions. There are some go-fast pieces on the car already so I’m climbing around to see what’s already there first. What are your thoughts about going to a new gear in the 3:73 range? Is there somewhere that I can research to get more info on a TTA rear end? Thx!

shadow images

Thanks to everybody for your suggestions. There are some go-fast pieces on the car already so I’m climbing around to see what’s already there first. What are your thoughts about going to a new gear in the 3:73 range? Is there somewhere that I can research to get more info on a TTA rear end? Thx!
No reason to change gearing in a Turbo Buick powered car TTA or GN especially at the performance level you want. Throwing good money after bad. Unless you do a full on performance build you will not see high rpm out of a turbo v6

Chip
Scanmaster
K&N / cold air induction
If you have a stock turbo you will need a way to adjust the boost i.e. new waste gate or daws device.
Remove the Cat
Good fuel System( pump and Hotwire kit) and Fuel

Lsttype

I haven't heard of anyone putting lower gears in these cars. The faster turbobuick guys actually go to 323s in vs the 342s. First thing I did on my Buick was go to a 28 inch tire

There was one trans that came ordered with 3:70 gears from the factory and one with 3:42 gears
According to some factory production numbers that had options for each car.

Top Bottom