Tta out for an aggressive drive!

Ryan40601

I took the Tta out first time this year and heard some detonation at high rpm
Around 4500-5000 I have the turbo tweak stock chip.
I'm in the process of getting the scan master, I'm not sure what it tells me ? Please give me a little insight on this! I want to do some mild mods to wake this thing up a little! Problem is I still don't know much about this turbo sh-t !!
I feel helpless and don't wanna burn any valves ,or blow any head gaskets!
Ps ..the cars got 26,500 miles on it ,and I bought it from an 85 year old man that bought it new ,so I'm pretty sure he was truthful about the fact that there was no mods under his ownership.ttarider

TTA984

Gold Member
Using todays gas only is bad in these engines. I blew headgaskets by using a stock turbotweak chip with no scanmaster. Stay out of the boost no more than 10 to 14psi. to see where it is and monitor it closely with a Scanmaster. You need to be "0" knock, with these engines. This is why a lot of us use Alky Control, to get "0" knock. It is not a pretty sight to blow a headgasket.

Definitely get the scan master, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, new fuel pump and wires, boost gauge and fuel psi gauge. Then you can adjust fuel and timing with the chip to achieve "0" knock at wot.

WS6

Stay thirsty my friends
A scanmaster is realtime data stream display of the ECM's data, basically relaying info the ECM is seeing and to an extent what the ECM is doing(in the case of INT and BLM numbers.). At any given moment you can see one of many parameters such as O2 voltage,RPM,MAF flow numbers or whatever field you currently have up and displaying.
You can change the current parameter to whatever sensor you want and watch it in real time or leave it in the top, default display and watch O2s and applied knock retard,which is what most people do.

It is also the tool used to interact with aftermarket,adjustable parameter, chips. It has limited data recall capabilities unlike the powerlogger but works in conjunction with versions of the powerlogger.

Ryan40601

Thanks all for the input ,I'm not sure if I'm gonna go with any mods at this. Time .id rather put the factory chip back in an eliminate the knock . Reason being I just don't have the time to do the mods!!!!!

Ryan40601

It didn't knock b4 I put the chip in !
Elaborate on your comment ,I do plan on filling with 93octane
Driving it for a bit ! But let me know what u think with a little more detail
Thanks!

Like others have said the fuel today isn't what it was in '89.
The TT chip has adjustability within it but default settings will have less timing than your factory chip. Street chips are usually burned with 18/17* in default, so your less likely to detonate. Scanmaster is a must at minimum for tuning.

Thanks all for the input ,I'm not sure if I'm gonna go with any mods at this. Time .id rather put the factory chip back in an eliminate the knock . Reason being I just don't have the time to do the mods!!!!!
The TT chip is better than the factory chip for sure. I would deff try better gas. Upping the octane will help in the short term just to see where your at. Long term just a fresh injector and adjustable fuel reg would certainly be in the right direction. Easy to install with hand tools, also wouldn't cost too much to have a mechanic do it if your scrunched for time.. For a real turn in response and decrease in knock will help from a better fuel pump as well. Hell, take your time. You'll sort it out.

Top Bottom