Stored TTA, won't start, gunk in fuel log

Hello,

I have a tta and it just sits most of the time. I usually take it for a drive once every 6 months. But last december it would not start. Dead battery and when I jumped it, it just turned over and would not start. (last time it was run was about March 2011.) So I waited for more warm weather and put in a new battery. It spins over fine, but will not start.

So I took off the cap on the end of the fuel log and it looked like it was full of dirt. Wet dirt. I have always used stabil in the fuel, so was surprised to see it look so nasty.

I don't know that much about the details of the fuel system, but it seems obvious to me I need to clean that out. I was going to take it loose from where the main line connects (just above the drivers valve cover) and try to blast it out with first air, and then gum out or something similiar.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a better way?

Thank you.

Last edited:

hoser

That may not be the reason for the no start , but you should clean it out. Squeeze a hose over the end of the rail and put the other end into a clear container. Turn key on / off and see how much muck is there. I have seen fuel debrise stockpile at the end of a few rails before. It's not the best situation for injectors ,so if there is lots , I would take rail and injectors off and check for plugging of inlet screens on the injectors. Remove filter and blow air back through to remove and particles. Install new filter and reinstall rail. Try and start engine. If no start , check fuel pressure first.

I've owned it about 5 years now. 47K miles. I had it converted it over to R134, otherwise I've done nothing to it but drive it around once in awhile.

That may not be the reason for the no start , but you should clean it out. Squeeze a hose over the end of the rail and put the other end into a clear container. Turn key on / off and see how much muck is there. I have seen fuel debrise stockpile at the end of a few rails before. It's not the best situation for injectors ,so if there is lots , I would take rail and injectors off and check for plugging of inlet screens on the injectors. Remove filter and blow air back through to remove and particles. Install new filter and reinstall rail. Try and start engine. If no start , check fuel pressure first.
Okay, I hooked a tube up and cranked the engine, but nada. Nothing at all came out. Dead fuel pump?

Thanks

TTA984

Gold Member
Can you tell me more about this coupling hose? Where is it? Can I get to see it? Is the pump in the tank or outside the tank?

Thanks
Well the bad thing is you have to drop the fuel tank to get to the pump and the coupling hose. The reason I am saying it might be the hose at the pump is because I have seen this on other third-gen firebirds before, and again it might be something else.

Only making a suggestion for the possible problem.

hoser

Try hitting the bottom of the tank with a rubber hammer while some one cranks it over. It may jar the pump free and start making pressure. If so , it's time for a pump. If not , check for power and ground to the pump.

Try hitting the bottom of the tank with a rubber hammer while some one cranks it over. It may jar the pump free and start making pressure. If so , it's time for a pump. If not , check for power and ground to the pump.
Sounds like a plan. I'm also going to chk the fuse, just in case. Thank you.

viper15

Just went throught the same thing. New tank, pump and sender. Fuel seperated and looked like I had tar in the tank. It was not worth trying to clean it. Threw it all in the garbage. Then blew out all fuel lines before starting. Mine runs great now !

Top Bottom