Storage for winter

k9flip

Hi guys and girls... wondering what is the best way to store our cars over the winter? I live in PA and it gets cold as hell here. Last few years I disconnected the terminals after a good wash and wax. Someone suggested I get a battery tender and leave the battery hooked up? Any suggestions? Thanks...

WS6

Stay thirsty my friends
I'm around my stored cars all winter, I may not put a hand on them or notice them for weeks on end. But all I do anymore is wash them,cover them with cheap painters plastic and maybe once or twice put a 2 amp charger on them for a weekend.

I use to be all in for the typical storage practices but I never could discern any negative affects because of my current lazy storage practices. Batteries last the same number of years, cars start right up, they still need washed right away and tires need a few pounds of air. But that's it.

kymmee

Silver Member
I am a believer in battery tenders, use them on all the cars.

If your garage is not heated and your car is on concrete, the cooling/warming effect will draw moisture. If that bothers you, you can get wheel dollies/casters and get your car off the ground.

Other than that, just clean it, cover it and count down the days till you can fire that baby up and hit the streets.ttarider

w_mcvicker

I am a believer in battery tenders, use them on all the cars.

If your garage is not heated and your car is on concrete, the cooling/warming effect will draw moisture. If that bothers you, you can get wheel dollies/casters and get your car off the ground.

Other than that, just clean it, cover it and count down the days till you can fire that baby up and hit the streets.ttarider
Streets?

What's that? lol!

I'm around my stored cars all winter, I may not put a hand on them or notice them for weeks on end. But all I do anymore is wash them,cover them with cheap painters plastic and maybe once or twice put a 2 amp charger on them for a weekend.

I use to be all in for the typical storage practices but I never could discern any negative affects because of my current lazy storage practices. Batteries last the same number of years, cars start right up, they still need washed right away and tires need a few pounds of air. But that's it.
Yeah my main concern is not so much the battery life but the fuel and how long is it good until it is the reason for many threads dealing with simple fuel issue's... i think there used to be a song for this... Anyone remember ?.. something about you can't always get what you want. but sometime your eng. gets what it needs...:WOOT:

8289ta

Silver Member
I put Sta-Bil in the fuel. I think it is doing its job as I never have any issues with the fuel. I also use a battery tender on the cars.

Mark T-TB

Car Crazy from birth
I put Sta-Bil in the fuel. I think it is doing its job as I never have any issues with the fuel. I also use a battery tender on the cars.
x 2.
I was a religious user of Stabil up until a few years ago when the ethanol problems became publicized.
Now I try to use something that will stabilize the fuel and prevent the ethanol separation and corrosion issues (Eastwood has a fuel treatment specifically for that, also Seafoam and Star-Tron). I think that Stabil has a 2nd formula for that(?).
I use the additives year-round... that e10 is scary stuff in old cars.

Just a reminder for those that park the car over winter to pump out methanol from the alky tank and replace it with windshield washer fluid.

kidsixpack

Silver Member
I use battery tenders and they seem to do the trick. I top the tanks off and have never had an issue in the spring doing so. Never tried Stabl, but if I left them for a year of something I would. I also love the Car Capsule. I wish I had room for another, but it's kind of crowded.
KID

Last edited:
Wow old thread, but I thought I'd ad to it. I now have three car capsules and I love them! A couple years ago I added stabl to the tanks when I put them away for winter storage. Springtime rolled around and for the first time ever my cars were a little difficult to start. I thought this was odd. Anyway no more stabl for me.

KID

Top Bottom