Seat covers Hawks vs. Jax

nickD

Obviously the Hawks kit is a bit less expensive than Jax but how do they compare in quality ?
I read through the thread on the board here, it would be great to hear from those who bought the Hawks kit. Does anyone have any first hand experience with both of these kits ?
thanks

kymmee

Silver Member
http://jaxseatcover.com/tta/

The fronts are $895 + shipping, and the rears are the same. Thats $1790 for a set plus shipping. Yes, a bit more expensive than Hawks. The link has contact info. I bought the Hawks set and only used the rear, very happy with the product. There are quite a few people who used Hawks, I dont know if anyone used Jax recently.

8289ta

Silver Member
That's crazy pricing. I have Katzkin dealer installed leather in my Pathfinder, and I have to say, the quality is top notch. I saw the TTA leather installed from Katzkin, and aside from the grain being a little different, it is also excellent quality. The leather quality is definitely better then the original leather.

Which is closest to original?
Hope I don't offend anyone, but I saw a set here a while back that looked way different than original....wouldn't want that

kymmee

Silver Member
The leather quality is definitely better then the original leather.
I suppose the original leather was much nicer when the cars were new. Even though a low mileage car is climate controlled, the leather is 22 yrs old.

Last edited:

8289ta

Silver Member
I was reading old posts from when the owner of Jax was posting here trying to sell his kits. He claimed the leather was a match to the original. He was also selling them for half the price. Jan has them in his car so he could probably answer that question, because he has seen both.

kymmee

Silver Member
My front seats were redone right before I got the car and they look pretty close to original material, maybe they are Jax. The PO told me it was OEM leather. I have no idea where he would have found that, but he did have a lot of connections.

I've seen Hawk's Hampton Vinyl Beechwood colored seat covers installed in a 1988 Trans Am GTA at a car show last year. I was actually impressed with the color and the way they looked. My only issue with the Hawk's kit is that I want REAL leather. I'm addicted to that wonderful leather smell, which is something the Hawk's Hampton vinyl kit can't provide. I called Jax the other day, but their answering service says they won't be back in the office until the 18th of November. I would like to get some leather samples from them and Katzkin.

TTA984

Gold Member
Got the Katzkin covers on the front and back, really like them. The leather is more relaxed and looks better than when they were installed back in August. Once or twice a month I put leather conditioner on them to keep them looking at their best.

Got the Katzkin covers on the front and back, really like them. The leather is more relaxed and looks better than when they were installed back in August. Once or twice a month I put leather conditioner on them to keep them looking at their best.
Hawks does offer the leather upholstery set. Its Katzkin leather.
http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/f...atupholsterykitleatherlikehamptonvinyl-1.aspx
It does smell nice.:)
How is the color in real life compared to the original Beechwood color? The pictures I've seen looks like the Katzkin leather is a lighter shade.

Last edited:

kymmee

Silver Member
How is the color in real life compared to the original Beechwood color? The pictures I've seen looks like the Katzkin leather is a lighter shade.
I would say it is ever so slightly lighter. Since I have different seat covers in front than back, it is a little lighter. But since you have so many shades of beechwood going on inside the interior (seats, plastic trim parts, carpet, headliner, etc; it is not noticeable. I have never had anyone at a car show bring it to my attention. Everyone is full of compliments and thinks the interior "looks like new". A car owner is its best critic if you know what I mean.

andre#4

I notice the color difference in the leather, in jax and hawks. Hawks being worse...but I am very particular about leather colors. I am probably one of a very few people who would care about such a thing. I like a real saddle color, like caramel. The original beechwood. I hate beiges taupes neutrals, etc.

Another option is to get your leather matched before hand. Get a sample. Compare the sample to a piece of leather (not vinyl) from the underside of the seat. There are hundreds of leather suppliers. Jax or Hawks should not be against making a custom set with the proper color, if you can find it from another supplier. There are also water based dyes, like leatherique, who will match your color. this is good for use on new or used leather. It doesn't take away the leather smell, and it looks and feels exactly like the dye that is applied at the leather tannery. It is incredible, and can even be used for complete color changes.

About leather being old...age does not ruin leather if it is cared for properly. My third car still has the original leather like new, and it has over 300k miles. I had dark window tint, a sunshade in the windshield and under the ttops, and used leather cream. It was never garaged, and lived in Florida and california for 20 years.

Just try to avoid sliding in against the side bolster, and/or sitting on the outer edge of the cushion when getting in and out. Use leather cream like Leatherique rejuvenating oil. Don't let the leather dry out, and keep sun off it.

Another thing I would advise is to switch the leather from the passenger seat to the driver seat, once the driver starts to show wear, or before it shows wear. Another nice thing is that the outer bolsters become the inner ones and vice versa, so you spread out the wear on all 4 bolsters, and the place everyone looks for wear will show no wear at all.

Andre,
Take a look at your seats....can't just swap the seat sides.

Another nice thing is that the outer bolsters become the inner ones and vice versa, so you spread out the wear on all 4 bolsters, and the place everyone looks for wear will show no wear at all.

jthompson

I'm resurrecting this old, old thread to add here that Lethal Interiors is a good choice. I've seen tons of great reviews on Third gen dot org. Price is about 1100 for a full set. She's super busy, not taking orders at the moment, but told me to call her back after summer.

TTA#299

I went with Jax Hughes price for my gn came I. Looking great 8 yrs ago still tuning so haven’t put them
In a lot of ass in an out of my gn seat

TTA#299

Owner of hawks third gen is a Dick . I’ve spent thousands With him
.. had a friend try to talk to him he just shrugged her off .. his dad bought him that firehawk

I’ve been into gn an Ttas 20 yrs plus

Top Bottom