Seat Belt Button Recall

72firebird

Super Moderator
Well I ordered a set of seat belt buttons since mine were all faded and when I got them I couldn't figure out how to change them. So I started looking online and it looks like apparently there was a recall for the seat belt buttons on our cars. If your buttons are a milky white then the recall hasn't been performed yet more than likely. There's a bunch of information in this thread http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/interior/222257-seatbelt-recall.html I just took some information into my local Chevy dealership and they couldn't find anything on their computer which is a problem most people said they had in that thread. However they're going to be checking with their district rep and see what they find and if they'll approve the recall. If not, most of the people said they just contacted GM directly and they contacted the dealer and approved the recall that way.

So hopefully I'll be getting the buttons replaced for free now. I'm hoping they'll let me just take the belt buckles out and bring them in to them since they already have my VIN information since I don't want any greasy techs climbing around in my TTA.

PhillyTurboSix

Administrator
Staff member
I bought all new buttons last year. Been meaning to do them on mine as well. Mine are not that bad but have some scratches from buckling up and are turning a little white. Let me know how you make out. I think Jan has the secret way to replace them :cheekiss:

Jan Larsson

Super Moderator
Staff member
10 min job for all 4 of them :) Did mine about 4 years ago .... and you can do it with the seat belts still in the car

When I got some time I'll do a short write up for you guys

PhillyTurboSix

Administrator
Staff member
See I knew uncle Jan did it! We need to make picture and video "how to" when we work on these cars. That would be a badass section on the board to have! I'm sure it's pretty easy to change but I'll wait for Jan's instructions! :cheers: :cheers: :cheekiss:

mr.turbota

Super Moderator
Staff member
I took my car in to have them redo the belts, back in the beginning.
When I picked up my car, only three seats had the new stuff.
The fourth one was all taken apart, and the female section was hollow, with no parts at all.
They informed me that they would order a new set for me.
never happened.
Then, the dealership went out of business (now a huge office building).
Even today, it is still not fixed.
I never worried, as no one rides in the back.
However, even with the new parts, they are turning kinda white.
Guess I'll have to order a whole new set for all the belts now.
Let me know how much and if they are still availible.
Would be nice to get a group deal on this.

:beach:

ChrisK

Administrator
Staff member
Its the damn sun that you have by you year round thats changing the color!!!!!!!!
Wish I had that problem!!!!

72firebird

Super Moderator
mr.turbota said:
I took my car in to have them redo the belts, back in the beginning.
When I picked up my car, only three seats had the new stuff.
The fourth one was all taken apart, and the female section was hollow, with no parts at all.
They informed me that they would order a new set for me.
never happened.
Then, the dealership went out of business (now a huge office building).
Even today, it is still not fixed.
I never worried, as no one rides in the back.
However, even with the new parts, they are turning kinda white.
Guess I'll have to order a whole new set for all the belts now.
Let me know how much and if they are still availible.
Would be nice to get a group deal on this.

You can still order the button pieces from GM it's like $5 or $6 each. They're part #14097930.

There's some pictures on how to change the buttons from a recall manual or something in the thread that I posted towards the end. I figure I'll just see if they'll replace mine and if they say no I'll just do it myself instead of going through all the hassle. I know it can't be that difficult. Now if they would only replace the weatherstrip on the ttops for me for free...

tx_1987_gta

Well I actually just bought a set of these..... and then found this post. part # is 14097930 and GM list price as of 5/3/07 is $5.37.....

I cant wait to find out how to put this stuff in the car......

Jan Larsson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Each bag contains 4 sets of the red buttons, springs and metal cover thing.

All you need to get the old ones out is a flat table knife to push down behind the red button to keep it straight then just pop them straight up. New installs just by pushing them straight down and the click in place.

I'll see if I can redo one of mine during the weekend and snap some photos.

For spending 10 min and $5 or $6 it's well worth it.

Check out this link for before and after on my TTA.
http://www.tta1078.com/Project/SeatBeltReceiverPushButtons/index.htm

Initally I did not install the metal covers that comes in the kit but decided to install them a while back as they protect the area where the metal piece pushed into the beechwood plastic.

72firebird

Super Moderator
Jan Larsson said:
Each bag contains 4 sets of the red buttons, springs and metal cover thing.

All you need to get the old ones out is a flat table knife to push down behind the red button to keep it straight then just pop them straight up. New installs just by pushing them straight down and the click in place.

I'll see if I can redo one of mine during the weekend and snap some photos.

For spending 10 min and $5 or $6 it's well worth it.

Check out this link for before and after on my TTA.
http://www.tta1078.com/Project/SeatBeltReceiverPushButtons/index.htm

Initally I did not install the metal covers that comes in the kit but decided to install them a while back as they protect the area where the metal piece pushed into the beechwood plastic.
yup I just installed mine since they called me and said they couldn't find any recalls for my car. So i just went ahead and did it myself. I broke one of the black retainers inside on one of the rear buckles but it still kind of works and no one sits back there anyways. I used a screwdriver and pryed up on both sides of the button to pop them out. The you just have to press the new ones in, took me a couple times to figure out how to push them in but after doing the first one it took me about 3 minutes to do the rest of them total. Definatly made a huge difference, I took some pictures and I'll post them up later.

mr.turbota

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sorry Chris!;)
Guess you were sleeping!:)
You can move out here and enjoy all the sun you want!
Today is mid 80s, sunny, and not much wind (about 10 mph).
I have friends who want me to move to New Mexico or Texas.
No thanks, they are getting way too much rain.
I wonder if Jan is there? ;)

andre#4

those metal things that come with the recall can scratch the sides of the front seats when you fold the seat forward to access the back seat. You can avoid it by moving the belt buckle forward first before the seatback. Otherwise it can chew up the sides pretty good. Taking the metal out is unsafe I think. Thats why there was a recall.

72firebird

Super Moderator
I love GMPartsDirect.com, but S&H is $15.95 on these, so make sure to order yourself an LS9 to get your moneys worth out of the shipping. lol
that's the worst part about GMPD, the S&H can be more expensive than the parts sometimes. Especially with something this small it won't cost them more than like $2 to ship it.

Chances are you can probably still get them at the dealership. It was a safety recall so they'll probably carry the parts for longer than they normally would.

Top Bottom