"resurrection" Of 1134

kwiktsi

OK, this is probably going to be long, so I apologize in advance. Let me preface this with- this is not a full blown resto, this car is a cruiser that will see plenty of street and track time, so it is being "restored" accordingly.

I owned a 24k mile TTA back in 2000 or so and have always regretted getting rid of it but for some reason, the last year or so it has been on my mind constantly that I want another one. Between life, kids, house, etc. I couldn't justify the coin to buy a low mileage, mint TTA at the moment and thought "Well, who am I kidding, I'm only going to mod it and have fun with it anyway, let me look for one needing work".

I found this one in Miami- where I ALWAYS say I would NEVER buy a car from but the price was right and even better (at the time) is he was looking for a 4th gen f body. It just so happened that I promised the wife I'd sell my extremely 01 Z28 if I bought another TTA, sooo I traded an extremely clean low 11 second head/cam 01 Z28 for #1134 back in February after being told it had "Holley HP EFI, ported heads, forged pistons, mild cam, built trans, etc." Knowing it needed a quarter panel, paint misc body work and interior to be nice. Apparently my definition of "what it needs" and the sellers are waayy different. This car has been abused and neglected in every possible way- brakes, bushings, steering, tires, interior, body and yes, even his totally awesome kickass built motor were shot. Only thing still working well is the trans (I just jinxed myself..)

Every single thing that they worked on on this car was a mess- the motor was a hack rebuild that had been overheated to the point that every seal was hard as a rock, the rings had no tension left and it leaked oil like the Valdeze. They cut (looks more like they bit..) an access panel in the hatch to do a fuel pump at one point. Fuel lines were all spliced with regular fuel hose. The holley wiring was just as bad. You name it, they screwed it up.

Fast forward to today- it now has a properly built forged piston, arp bolted, roller cammed, Champion headed motor in it, I have rewired the holley and relocated it to the stock location under the dash and I just got it back from paint about 2 weeks ago and finished reassembling it all last week. I did the motor disassembly/reassembly, quarter panel and body disassembly here. Machine work and paint were done by others. I was going to finish the body and spray it myself but just couldn't find the time. I still have the interior, suspension and brakes to finish but we are closing on another house next week so it has to wait until after the move. I was going to wait until it was completely done to post pics and such but wanted to show something for all the work so far lol. It's not a flawless show car but it is a very nice driver/friday night cruiser. It's come a long way in a relatively short time considering all of the labor was done by me lol.

20160225_171758 - Copy.jpg 20160225_171821 - Copy.jpg 20160226_161353 - Copy.jpg 20160226_161356 - Copy.jpg 20160302_123125 - Copy.jpg

Last edited:

pont1230

yea man that thing looked like it went a few rounds and got beat up,You shore put a lot of work on it and is coming out pretty dam good keep up the good work, don't give up the end result is going to be well worth it.

kwiktsi

yea man that thing looked like it went a few rounds and got beat up,You shore put a lot of work on it and is coming out pretty dam good keep up the good work, don't give up the end result is going to be well worth it.
Thanks. Yeah, I have been telling myself that all along. There have been several "awe really? Wtf??" moments where I think I should just cut my losses and call it quits but there is finally some light at the end of the tunnel. It runs like a raped ape now and is looking pretty damn good, so it's all downhill from here :). Still some hurdles ahead but the worst is behind me now.

My wife loves to point out that "for what I have into it, I could have bought one needing nothing" but as I tell her- they ALL need SOMETHING so I'd be doing work to it anyway plus I'd be modding it too. This one already will have new paint, new interior, fresh built motor, some nice mods and will be done for less than it would cost me to buy "a clean one". I figure I'll be into the car for just under 18k when all's said and done, which is well worth it to me.

Last edited:

kymmee

Silver Member
Wow, it really hurt to look at the first few pictures. You have done a great job of bringing the car back and it looks great! Glad you put the correct hood back on too!

kwiktsi

Wow, it really hurt to look at the first few pictures. You have done a great job of bringing the car back and it looks great! Glad you put the correct hood back on too!
I knew from the second I saw the Craigslist ad that hood was as good as gone! One of the first questions I asked him was "do you still have the stock hood?" Lol

Last edited:

kwiktsi

Wow, that thing was a mess.. good job seeing it through... btw any issues with the t-top area ?
Nope, t top area is super clean, that's why I bought this one over one other I looked at. The other car was from the Miami area also. They wanted 10k and while it "presented" itself better, ultimately it would need just as much work plus when I pulled the tops, it was pretty bubbly and scaly under them. Then when I looked under it, the thing was caked with undercoating. It was hiding something and the seller seemed pretty shifty so I ran away from that one.

Super job :cool: of saving what looked (and sounds like from you description) a real mess. Nice work!
Thank you.

2QUIK6

Very nice! If you have the ability and the time to do all the work yourself and hunt down the parts, then the most expensive parts become the engine go fast parts! It's awesome to see a project come together!

kwiktsi

Very nice! If you have the ability and the time to do all the work yourself and hunt down the parts, then the most expensive parts become the engine go fast parts! It's awesome to see a project come together!
Thank you. I typically do everything myself- motor, trans, body, paint, you name it.

I had originally planned to paint this one too but just didn't have the time to get it done before the move and didn't want to bring a basket case along so I had a local shop do it. I'm pretty picky and there are some flaws that eat at me- I would have done better overall, but for what the car will be used for, it's fine.

I tend to not keep cars long, so I gave myself a 3 year goal- if I still have it in 3 years, it will get redone. If I don't, I'll be glad I didnt spend 10k on a show quality paint job lol

kwiktsi

Bringing this back up. Hit my "3 year" mark earlier this year and still have the car :). Nothing has really changed other than some tweaking here and there, and yes, I did jinx myself in the first post. Once I turned up the wick, 2nd gear decided it didnt want to live anymore lol.

Attachments

Top Bottom