My T/TA Racing at Race Legal San Diego, CA

Raymond Bunch

TTA #1416 / 1BADDAM
Hey guys, just got back from racing at Barona Drags 1/8 mile track here in Sunny California. Good news is that the car is getting faster!
Today I went a best of 7.3@96.25 mph. 1.79 60ft time. Boost was at 28psi. This was with pump gas/Alky on stock long block. 6262 turbo, PTS 3200 9/11 stall L/U, converter was unlocked. 80#, TT Alky Chip, Walbro 340, THDP. Nothing super special at all... See signature...lol

It was kinda hot, I believe it could have gone faster with cooler weather and having the converter locked on all passes. Passes ranged from 7.3-7.5 I was tuning for mph, not ET's, but I'm happy with those too.

My power logger will be here next week. I can't wait, as I really need to see some data, then go from there.

Take care guys!
Ray

Hey Ray, Curious, after I looked at your sig. Our mods are very similar. My motor is still unopened too, similar turbo, conv sp., inj, and so forth.

After reading last month's Hot Rod magazine, they up-dated a GN for some private owners. They updated the car with the usual mods, though they removed the RJC Powerplate. This is discussed over at tb.com to some length.

Wondered if you are using one? For many years this was an almost "usual" street mod, though the HotRod magazine makes a valid argument for it's gimickery and removal. You may have read the article too.

Raymond Bunch

TTA #1416 / 1BADDAM
Hey Ray, Curious, after I looked at your sig. Our mods are very similar. My motor is still unopened too, similar turbo, conv sp., inj, and so forth.

After reading last month's Hot Rod magazine, they up-dated a GN for some private owners. They updated the car with the usual mods, though they removed the RJC Powerplate. This is discussed over at tb.com to some length.

Wondered if you are using one? For many years this was an almost "usual" street mod, though the HotRod magazine makes a valid argument for it's gimickery and removal. You may have read the article too.
Thanks guys.
I haven't read the article...yet. But will be soon enough as it sounds like an interesting debate. But to answer your question about using one...the answer is yes. I probably should add the RJC power Plate to my list of mods. I will also venture to say that I have used it on all of my past modified turbo Buick's too. The most powerful one putting down 611 rwhp with it on, on pump gas and Alky. Does it work...hmmm I honestly don't know. But it never hurt me by having it installed either, and, I have never blown a head gasket on any of my cars while racing. So, it probably works to some extent...

Now I need to find that article... I'm curious to what folk are saying. ;)

Thanks guys.
I haven't read the article...yet. But will be soon enough as it sounds like an interesting debate. But to answer your question about using one...the answer is yes. I probably should add the RJC power Plate to my list of mods. I will also venture to say that I have used it on all of my past modified turbo Buick's too. The most powerful one putting down 611 rwhp with it on, on pump gas and Alky. Does it work...hmmm I honestly don't know. But it never hurt me by having it installed either, and, I have never blown a head gasket on any of my cars while racing. So, it probably works to some extent...

Now I need to find that article... I'm curious to what folk are saying. ;)
Interesting, well, read the article and then maybe post as a new thread about the RJC Plate, or maybe I will. I'm currently running one, but now am thinking about removing it.

Congrats on your new e.t.! :hooray:

Raymond Bunch

TTA #1416 / 1BADDAM
Thanks, I'm hoping to improve my e.t's even more. Ha! I may go racing again this coming Friday with the exact same tune I ran the 7.3@96.25 with. Only exception is, I'll remove the power plate and see if there is any difference In performance. Oh, and the elevation will be a bit lower, and cooler since RaceLegal races are in the evening. Or I'll just hold out until Nov 1st and go back to Barona 1/8 mile drags. This will probably be the best thing to do to get a somewhat accurate comparison between running the PP, and not running it.

Raymond Bunch

TTA #1416 / 1BADDAM
I also went racing again on 24 Oct, I'll post some videos when I get them. Same times but went an itty bit faster mph wise. 96.54mph... Every little bit of progress counts. lol

I also, heeded some of you guys advice and got a Power Logger. I hope to have it installed by weeks end. This investment in a power logger was long overdue, I'm sure life will be easier after I figure out how to use it:eam:

Raymond Bunch

TTA #1416 / 1BADDAM
Hey Guys/Gals
Well, I blew a head gasket this past Christmas Eve, I totally forgot to prime the Alky before going out. Boom! I limped it back home where it has sat until a couple days ago. Ive been way to busy with family life to even bother with it. Anyway, the car is currently apart getting the headgasket replaced. #2 let go, and #4 was on its way out on the passenger side only. Kinda weird. Luckily #2 blew into the intake valley. No milk shake, oil and antifreeze was fine. Thank goodness!

Anyway, over the last few months I saved up and bought everything needed to put ported Buick heads on it, minus the custom down pipe that would have needed to be fabbed up still. Long story short, my mechanic and I decided to just keep the stock TTA heads on it and go racing again. I like the simplicity of my set up and in all honesty, it runs quite well for what it is. Biggest reason for not going with Buick heads, I don't want to do a notch in my frame to get a big down pipe, routed to my exhaust. Also, I want to restore this car in the future due to its rarity. The car should be back together in a couple days after getting my heads back from the machine shop. Can't wait!

Upcoming mods: I will add an extra alky nozzle I have on hand, and will be going with a mafless 4" intake set up. PL will finally be installed too. GOAL run consistant 7.0's Wish me luck!

Top Bottom