Headlight motor replacement advice

just got new headlight motors and have installed both of them. First, the driver’s side motor spins freely with the knob on top and you can crank it up or down manually. It will flip up when the lights are turned on but will not flip back down. Tried it with the engine off and engine on (didn’t think it’d matter but tried it anyway) secondly, The passenger side motor doesn’t seem to want to spin with the knob at all and really didn’t want to before I installed it. It was the first one I did. Ive called the parts house and they’re supposed to be getting another passenger side motor coming. So, any advice or tricks of the trades that I might be overlooking on install or operation would be appreciated. Thank you

**Update: passenger side motor is freed up. both headlights will now flip up when called for by light switch but neither will flip down when switch is turned off. You can still hand crank them both down. Maybe a bad relay somewhere possibly..???

DynoDave

There is a Guide (brand) module on the cowl / front of dash / "fire wall" that controls the actions of the headlamps. There is an internal relay in that module. They have been known to fail, as well as having the soldered joints in the module fail. Some have been successful in re-soldering those contact points.

I'm not saying the module is your issue, just letting you know it's one place to look. I'm sure there's a diagnostic table for this in the service manual. Do you have one?

There is a Guide (brand) module on the cowl / front of dash / "fire wall" that controls the actions of the headlamps. There is an internal relay in that module. They have been known to fail, as well as having the soldered joints in the module fail. Some have been successful in re-soldering those contact points.

I'm not saying the module is your issue, just letting you know it's one place to look. I'm sure there's a diagnostic table for this in the service manual. Do you have one?[/QUOT

I'm not saying the module is your issue, just letting you know it's one place to look. I'm sure there's a diagnostic table for this in the service manual. Do you have one?
Yessir. Will check it out. Thx again.

Jan Larsson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Switch on dashboard goes bad, I had that happen and if I pushed the switch really hard they went down … replaced mine and problem solved.

unrelated to the switch replacement many years later my headlight motors went bad and I had to rebuild them.

make sure you get the replacement switch with the correct style symbols / printing on it

Well...new relay, headlamp still not going back down when switch is turned off. Will work towards the module Dyno Dave mentioned and check the switch Jan pointed out also. Sheesh...
Again, I appreciate all the advice.

Top Bottom