Cooling fan running after car turned off

:(One of the cooling fans inconsistantly will not turn off for minutes after I turn the car off, My mechanic replaced the sensor motor and it is still doing it. If I only drive the car a little while, it will turn off or will only run for 3 0r 4 minutes. If I am driving the car on errands all day when I finally shut it down at home, I timed it at 15 minutes before it shot off. This really concerns me.:bye2:

Also the air conditioner - had it recharged for $150 and when the car is first started or low speeds, I feel the air. When I go on the highway at 65 or any faster than reallly slow it seems to stop blowing. I put my hand on the vents to feel and nothing. Any ideas?

Appreciate any help. Thanks. Lynn:aggressive:

1970gsx

The fan delay relay will allow the fan to continue to run when the car is hot. You can unplug that relay if you don't like it running so long. At least this is how it is on a GN and i'm ASSuming it's the same for the TTA.

The fan delay relay will allow the fan to continue to run when the car is hot. You can unplug that relay if you don't like it running so long. At least this is how it is on a GN and i'm ASSuming it's the same for the TTA.
I don't remember hearing it before now. The temperature gauge shows the car is not running hot (about at the 100 mark).

TTA984

Gold Member
I had these same problems over a year ago. I had both relays replaced. They were pretty inexpensive.

I also had a new radiator installed, my old one had a leak.

15 minutes is the time the delay relay allows...it is working properly.

How hot is your car running? You say 100 degrees, but that doesn't make sense.

Do you have a 160 thermostat? An aftermarket chip?

1tufam

Its the relay between the battery and radiator. I think NAPA can get this one by ordering it. Should fix you right up.

WS6

Stay thirsty my friends
I think jason is on to the right solution. Your car is running hotter than it should and I would NEVER trust any of the factory gauges as being accurate. I bet if you put it a scanner it is well over 200 as the ECM sees it.

That is my gut feeling and why it concerns me. It is only one of the fans. And I believe the former owner put a Hypertech? ? chip in it but that would have been a long time ago. I have had the car 7 years. The temperature gauge has 100 - 200, etc. Car usually hangs around 100. Drove it this morning 33 miles and fan stopped when I turned the car off, temperature around 100. Usually happens when running car doing a lot of. Errands.

That is my gut feeling and why it concerns me. It is only one of the fans. And I believe the former owner put a Hypertech? ? chip in it but that would have been a long time ago. I have had the car 7 years. The temperature gauge has 100 - 200, etc. Car usually hangs around 100. Drove it this morning 33 miles and fan stopped when I turned the car off, temperature around 100. Usually happens when running car doing a lot of. Errands.
Buy a turbotweak.com chip and buy a 160 thermostat.

That will fix your issues.

That being said, I wonder if your temp sensor is bad as well, but I bet not or the fan wouldn't run after the car is off.

I hate to be condescending, but there is no way in hell your car is running at the 100 degree mark. Take a picture of where the needle is. You say "hangs" around 100 but that could mean it is "hanging" 3/8" to the right of 100 which is 160/170...

Take a picture.

Thanks Jason
I will take a picture. I am sorry, you are right, it usually is at or a little under the line after 100 or at the little line after the larger line after 100. The thermometer stops at 260. Lynn

Nick Wise

I wouldn't trust the factory gauges. None of mine are totally accurate. My temp gauge never goes above 160, but when I check it on a scanner or with the scanmaster it is usually at about 170. My speedometer is off about 5mph at 80mph. Boost gauge doesn't really register till at least 3psi. I would get a scanmaster and like Jason said, get a turbo tweak chip. Never hesitate to ask a question. These guys give great advice, listen to them and you will have you TTA running great.

TTA984

Gold Member
Totally agree with Nick, These guys know these cars and have helped me alot.

Your could probably say they are Guru's of the TTA community. Any problem you have with your car, you will get good advice.

I have a fan problem 2. When i drive the car my fan wont turn on,then soon as i turn the car off the fan comes on ,then after awhile it shuts its self off. Also when i turn my ac on my other fan for the ac wont come on? Any info will be great, im tring to get this fixed before i leave friday for the event.
Thanks guys

1970gsx

I have a fan problem 2. When i drive the car my fan wont turn on,then soon as i turn the car off the fan comes on ,then after awhile it shuts its self off. Also when i turn my ac on my other fan for the ac wont come on? Any info will be great, im tring to get this fixed before i leave friday for the event.
Thanks guys
Sounds like a bad relay. Swap the relays and see what it does.

I count 3 relays 2 r the same 1 is square. I switched the 2 and the ac fan still wont come on. What does the square one do? Is that one for the ac fan or the normal fan ? Which relay does what ? You have 2 in front of the battery and one the side. It sure will help to know which relay does what.
Thanks

Nick Wise

The one beside the battery should be the high speed(a/c) fan. Smaller one in front is low speed fan relay. The larger square is the fan delay relay. I am actually trying to find a delay relay now for my car. This one has never worked. Can anyone tell me if these were used in other trans ams, other then the TTA? If so maybe.I can steal one off of my parts car.

Top Bottom