Coming to the TTA reunion in 2011?? Have questions about the TTA? Step in....

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhillyTurboSix

Administrator
Staff member
I recently locked in someone for the TTA reunion in 2011 and I wanted to get a Q&A thread started for this person early so we can build on this and print it out for the event. If you could ask someone (who knows everything about these cars) any question about the 1989 Turbo Trans Am what would it be? Let's start a list and see what questions come up! As time goes by I will announce who this person is! :D I asked a few questions about the TTA's that I "thought" I knew the answers to and I was wrong on several! I think this reunion is going to open many new doors and all those unanswered questions people have had about the cars the real truth will finally come out!

Like why didn't they number the cars with a badge inside like the 30th? How were they built at PAS and in what order did they come in? Why were some of them missing badges? What do all the numbers mean on the intercooler and trans tags? What mods were done to the 200R4? How where the TTA's picked out on the line? What order were they made at Pontiac?

You might think you know these answers but you'll be surprised what the real answers are!

So think real hard and put any and all questions you would like to hear the real answer for right here in this thread!

Now Rich don't cheat! Just make sure you, the vert, and the cut away engine make it there in 2011! :worthy:

72firebird

Super Moderator
I recently locked in someone for the TTA reunion in 2011 and I wanted to get a Q&A thread started for this person early so we can build on this and print it out for the event. If you could ask someone (who knows everything about these cars) any question about the 1989 Turbo Trans Am what would it be? Let's start a list and see what questions come up! As time goes by I will announce who this person is! :D I asked a few questions about the TTA's that I "thought" I knew the answers to and I was wrong on several! I think this reunion is going to open many new doors and all those unanswered questions people have had about the cars the real truth will finally come out!

Like why didn't they number the cars with a badge inside like the 30th? How were they built at PAS and in what order did they come in? Why were some of them missing badges? What do all the numbers mean on the intercooler and trans tags? What mods were done to the 200R4? How where the TTA's picked out on the line? What order were they made at Pontiac?

You might think you know these answers but you'll be surprised what the real answers are!

So think real hard and put any and all questions you would like to hear the real answer for right here in this thread!

Now Rich don't cheat! Just make sure you, the vert, and the cut away engine make it there in 2011! :worthy:
the cut away engine that has had pics posted on here isn't owned by Rich, it's by a guy in Missouri I believe or somewhere around there.

One of the things I've wondered is why with 3.0L heads. I know everyone says they're better than the standard 3.8L, but then why didn't Buick switch...

Anything interesting that was considered but was turned down? As an ME student and have worked for some companies who build parts for the big 3, I have seen some cool, but expensive ideas turned down because of their cost at the time. The TTA has some interesting parts in the drive train but everything else can be found on some kind of regular third gen...

Rodimus_Prime

I wonder why they were so expensive, really it was a GTA with a different engine, why the 9k price difference? By todays inflation adjusted price it would be a $53,000 car.

Also with the 80s turbo programs gm had why did they all get killed off? Not all of them were bad, the buick program was the best performance v6 on the market and maybe the best performance engine period at the end of the 80s. None of the V8s they had were making those kinds of numbers till the ZR1, why kill off something that was ahead of its time and competition? Didn't want it to be faster than the Vette, why not give the vette a turbo V6 too? Wouldnt have been the first time a 6 cylinder vette existed.....

PhillyTurboSix

Administrator
Staff member
Good questions! I actually asked a few of those to this person and I got a different answer them most think is the truth. Make sure your there in 2011 and you'll get all these answers!

Keep em coming guys!

72firebird

Super Moderator
I wonder why they were so expensive, really it was a GTA with a different engine, why the 9k price difference? By todays inflation adjusted price it would be a $53,000 car.

Also with the 80s turbo programs gm had why did they all get killed off? Not all of them were bad, the buick program was the best performance v6 on the market and maybe the best performance engine period at the end of the 80s. None of the V8s they had were making those kinds of numbers till the ZR1, why kill off something that was ahead of its time and competition? Didn't want it to be faster than the Vette, why not give the vette a turbo V6 too? Wouldnt have been the first time a 6 cylinder vette existed.....

They were more expensive because of the exclusiveness. For the same reason the GNX was so much more expensive than the GN.

PhillyTurboSix

Administrator
Staff member
They were more expensive because of the exclusiveness. For the same reason the GNX was so much more expensive than the GN.
Remember this thread is all about asking questions about the TTA's. NOT answering them. :chair: Jared your going to find out in Ohio at the reunion that your answer is in fact incorrect and you'll find the real reason when this question is answered because I asked this person that same question while I was on the phone with him and that was not the reason they were more money! :whistle:

I'm telling you guys your are not going to want to miss this Q&A session because everything you thought you ever knew will be changed and the truth will be heard for real this time!

How about this one.. why were some of the cars missing the badges. You might THINK because they ran out but that is NOT the truth as I asked that question as well to this person and he told me the real reason why some where missing badges. Your gonna be surprised to hear really why! :yes:

Who designed the badges?

Why didn't they put dual cats on the TTA, when in 89 the 5.0 and 5.7 (late in the year) offered dual cats?

Is the intermediate pipe actually the same part and part# as the intermediate pipe on the Iroc-Z and Firebird TA's and GTA V8's?

Why did they limit it at 16psi?

Why didn't GM look into alcy injection when the concept is as old ad the internal combustion engine and had been used on previous GM cars?

Who decided that white was the color that was going to be offered?

PhillyTurboSix

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome questions! Keep them coming! We are going to document all of this and make a place on the board for all this information to live with the correct answers!!

Someone asked me....

when the cars AND engine block (transmission as well) got the VIN stapmed / engraved ... Van Nuys ... City of Industry or?

and someone asked me...

I also have photos of TTA’s in the PAS City of Industry building where they apply the door decals to a number of TTAs ... what was the reason for this and where where they used? Festival cars?

How many owners kits were made?
Why did they use plastic lines going to AFPR that was prone to cracking?
How high did the engineers play with the boost on the dyno considering they had a 3 bar MAP?
Who did the computer programming?
Did they ever experience knock while on the engine dyno? The stock chip was VERY aggresive.
Why didn't they put 255/50/16 tires on the back like the GNX?
Did they play with different compression ratios?
Where did all the leftover parts go?

Jan Larsson

Administrator
Staff member
Can you describe the overall order and manufacturing process / workflow from when the dealership took the order then the process to build the car @ van nuys and the drive train in the PAS City of Industries facilities to the marrigae again @ Van nuys and complete cars @ City of Industry etc.

From a manufacturing documentation point of view, each assembly line "stop" had their own worksheets (or whatever they were called), I can bring samples of these, how many where there in total. Also the build sheet that followed the cars (multiple of them) with all option codes, ship to City of Industry details along wiht the ordering dealer where these all kept and stored (for warranty purposes) by PAS?

What happened to all the documents when PAS closed down and when Triad Services changed owners (emplyee buy out in 94 or so)? What type of documents where there?

We rarely see any photos from the PAS City of Industry drive train assembly line or final tuning of the TTAs @ PAS ... is there any to share? What was the assembly line process for the drivetrains?

Describe the set of mule cars used for this project, their different use, engenerring purposes and certification purposes. I know a number of them ended up in the hands of PAS/Triad owners and employees ... what's the story behind them all?

PhillyTurboSix

Administrator
Staff member
VERY good questions boys!

Jan you are gonna love some of these answers for sure!

This Q&A thing with our mystery guest is more exciting then the all the car together alone! :WOOT:

Keep the questions flowing boys because this person will be able to answer them ALL!

Jan Larsson

Administrator
Staff member
The none existing numbering of our cars :)

The VIN sequence is what we all use as our "build number" and this is what PHS (Pontiac Historic Services) provides upon request (and $50 or so hard earned $$).

PAS records shows a PAS ordering number for every car that was kept alongside the VIN ... these are not in sequence in anyway can you tell us if this was PAS way of just keep track of them, or the order they came into the PAS facility @ City of Industry or something else?

Also engines and transmissions all got serial numbers per the PAS records I've seen how were these later matched to the correct VIN for warranty purpuses and who did this GM @ Van Nuys or PAS @ City of Industry?

Where on the engine block would we find this number (so not the VIN number); the engine sequence number per the PAS records? Transmission number is on a visible tag but what about the engine sequence number?

Last edited:

PhillyTurboSix

Administrator
Staff member
Oh man Jan our mystery guest is just gonna love you to death! lol The cool part is ALL those questions will be answered once and for all! :yes: so keep em coming! Now you all know why I planned this event so far in advance!

1tufam

Why no CD option on the "ultimate TA"?
Was there friction/influence from the Vette guys on horsepower levels?
Was the intercooler choice a result of the gains recognized on the GNX or required due to poor air flow on the the third gen?

Off the top of the head, will try to find a few more.

Matt

Jan Larsson

Administrator
Staff member
Emblems:

What were the different alternatives looked at and was this a GM descision to in the end go with the clouisone emblems like the GTA's had (and same manufacturer?)

What about the early prototype emblems like the ones pictured, what's the story behined those? Any other prototype emblems before settling on the clouisone style?

The missing Turbo Fender emblems? What happened? I know PAS sent out directions and a cheque to the dealers (see attached document) to get them installed after the car's shipped / sold ... what's the real story? Shortage of emblems? Some one stole them all?

I take it PAS installed all emblems @ their City of Industry facility? What else were done to the cars @ PAS after they got them back from GM's Van Nuys plant?

Attachments

Jan Larsson

Administrator
Staff member
Back to build number.

When a owner requested the history of their TTA directly from PAS (until you stopped and PHS started to do this and charge for it, funny enough using the same content of the letter).

Did you provide the build number as the VN sequence number or the PAS in house numbering of each car? Seems like some PAS letters I've seen confirm the VIN sequence number while one or two I've seen actually confirm the PAS in house numbering?

92conv

Obiviously, none of us going to be able to get a word in edge wise if we let Jan near the mystery guest!!!!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

PhillyTurboSix

Administrator
Staff member
Obiviously, none of us going to be able to get a word in edge wise if we let Jan near the mystery guest!!!!:rofl::rofl::rofl:
ROFL!!! I was thinking the same thing!! Jan is gonna wear out our poor mystery guest! And just think Jan has over a year to keep thinking of things! :blink:

Note to self: have tea, honey, and throat lozenges available for mystery guest!

Also note to self: Bring gag for Jan "just in case" :rofl:

On a side note I was talking to our mystery guest last night and alerted him about this thead and some of the questions that are coming up and he loves it! He said keep brining it on as he wants to clear the air about the TTA once and for all for everyone! He said the owners are the ones who need to know! So keep those questions coming!

What was the true top speed of the car as test by him?
How were they broken in? As in, were they all dynoed WOT immediately? Were any of them driven?
Did they actually have Mobil 1 in the pan?
Who designed the boost gauge in the tachometer? Any pictures of the prototypes? Was there another option for it before they decided on the one that was used?
Did they ever consider/try using lightweight parts to build it? Obivously they did with the lexan t-tops but it must have gone much further than that...

I'll think of 200 more in the next 500 days!

PhillyTurboSix

Administrator
Staff member
Here is another few from me...

The sticker on the pass valve cover. What did it mean and what was the reason for it.

Did PAS take out the build sheets from the cars? Did the dealer?

I would also like to see a complete list of everything PAS did that wasn't on a typical GTA.

PhillyTurboSix

Administrator
Staff member
Jason is on the way home from college on spring break and he just text me these questions for the list so he don't forget them... :coffee:

Did the cars incur paint or body damage at PAS that required paint work or replacement of any panels. If so was this documented and where is that information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom