First outing with LS3

TTA850

Went out to Atco today to make some shakedown runs and work on my reaction times with the new motor. Weather wasnt great, cool temps but baro was down and we were fighting a 20+mph headwind all day - not to mention it was snowing during my third pass lol

Made 5 runs:
11.058 at 121.51 w/1.496 sixty -.016 light
11.107 at 121.61 w/1.520 sixty .040 light (only run it spun, just a little)
11.039 at 121.39 w/1.492 sixty .032 light
11.064 at 121.04 w/1.498 sixty .009 light
11.026 at 121.85 w/1.495 sixty .007 light :D

Pretty good I think for a 3800+lbs fbody with a stock LS3 crate motor + 228/232 cam, roller rockers, and FAST intake/TB. Now I gotta slow it down cause no bar, need to figure some sort of throttle stop before the first bracket race in two weeks.

-Steve

WS6

Stay thirsty my friends
I don't recall talking about that, but I'm old and have a failing memory....

So, what's done to the rear suspension...anything?

TTA850

The front suspension is completely stock including the WS6 sway bar with the exception of KYB AGX shocks. The rear suspension consists of UMI parts including a tunnel mounted torque arm, panhard rod, trailing arms, and drag sway bar. The rear has 4 position relocation brackets on it (though it's currently in the stock location) and stock rear springs with KYB AGX shocks. It's finished off with a set of UMI 3 point subframe connectors. Tires are 275/50R15 M/T ET Street radials on Weld RT-S 15x10 wheels out back with M/T 26x6x15 SR Radials on WEld RT-S 15x4 up front.

Best sixty with this setup was last year with the original LS1 motor on a 150 shot it went 1.45

I don't recall talking about that, but I'm old and have a failing memory....

So, what's done to the rear suspension...anything?
I was more referring to...told you-look how easy it is.

Yes, we know you are old. lol still means lots of love to you. :bye1:

TTA850

Yeah the car is now all motor, can't afford to torch another motor. Plus it's already too fast for both my class (street et/sportsman) and the fact that I'm not putting a bar in it.

Pinion is -2.5*

WS6

Stay thirsty my friends
If you don't mind a Q ...you're running 2.5* down, with the rear LCAs in the stock position rear setting.

So, if you decided to drop the rears of the lower control arms down to the next lower position, would you change the pinion angle to like -2.0* ??

TTA850

Thanks Jim :) they do run good!

As for pinion angle, no I would leave it at -2.5* I have played around and didn't find much change in performance by adjusting pinion angle and -2.5* seems to work the best to compensate for the give in the torque arms two front poly bushings.

I do however change control arm positions, torque arm front mount positions, shock settings, and sway bar link length depending on how I'm launching and track conditions. It the track is bald at the start I may lower the rear arms and/or raise the front torque arm mount to hit the tires harder. It the track is good at the start but loose 20-40ft out I may raise the bars and/or lower the torque arm to hit the tires softer but keep them planted better further down track.

Plus there's a lot of other things to get the car out of the hole like front shock adjustments and launch rpm/timing curve but pinion angle Is not something I adjust. I just make sure it doesn't move around on me.

TTA850

Yeah the LS3 responds well to a cam, just gotta keep piston to valve clearance in mind with that big 2.165" intake valve.

Btw I went back out yesterday and lowered my trailing arms one notch to see if I could get a little more out of the hole and was rewarded with a 1.478 sixty foot on the way to a 10.995 at 121.53mph :)

Top Bottom